Builds Group Build - The War in the Desert 1941 - 1943

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not to mention the odd one, the SdKfz 2 Kettenkrad; a half-track motorcycle!
Excellent piece of kit though. The Germans certainly showed some inventive flair for creating various ways around the Versailles Treaty. The kettenrad was one of those pieces of kit you either loved or hatex. As far as models go, there are some pretty rubbish ones, Tamiya, and some good ones, Das Werk, and the 1/6 scale Italeri versions. Dragon did a 1/9 scale model but it didn't get the positive feedback it deserves and was shelved! I seem to remember a kit I had with a signals Kettenrad with two large cable reels mounted on the body. Cannot remember the manufacturer though.

Chef

LE
Not to mention the odd one, the SdKfz 2 Kettenkrad; a half-track motorcycle!
Apparently, according to a German who drove/rode them the only limit off road was the nerve of the rider.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent piece of kit though. The Germans certainly showed some inventive flair for creating various ways around the Versailles Treaty. The kettenrad was one of those pieces of kit you either loved or hatex. As far as models go, there are some pretty rubbish ones, Tamiya, and some good ones, Das Werk, and the 1/6 scale Italeri versions. Dragon did a 1/9 scale model but it didn't get the positive feedback it deserves and was shelved! I seem to remember a kit I had with a signals Kettenrad with two large cable reels mounted on the body. Cannot remember the manufacturer though.
I have had an idea in the back of my head for a while of making the Kettenrad driven by Pinky and the Brain in a Laundry Files novel*, complete with minigun in 1/35, which has been scuppered by the scarcity of affordable kits at the moment. Unless anyone knows different?

* An excellent series of books by Charles Stross centred around battles between intradimensional space demons versus the Civil Service; you either love it or hate it.

I have had an idea in the back of my head for a while of making the Kettenrad driven by Pinky and the Brain in a Laundry Files novel*, complete with minigun in 1/35, which has been scuppered by the scarcity of affordable kits at the moment. Unless anyone knows different?

* An excellent series of books by Charles Stross centred around battles between intradimensional space demons versus the Civil Service; you either love it or hate it.
What are we doing tomorrow, Brain?
Taking over the world!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
OK....

So the shit Science Treasury thing has begun....
D0FA0281-35FE-411F-AFFC-290CEC05D26F.jpeg

Much drilling out of roadwheels required, I hate Germans.....

I think, but can’t be sure, that I have one of those ACE 76.2mm guns in the stash so I might bin the whiff 88mm and do a Diana.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
And lo! The stash has given up an F22!
5C7A6DAF-7CC9-43AB-925C-8FE4FB33A139.jpeg

Struck by the detail these days for a simple AT gun compared to a 70s half track!
68C86BF6-E0D2-4788-80CE-4196EDC22209.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
A little further progress on the suspension:

ECE816F2-4B14-4813-927A-56E8E008750A.jpeg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Looking good "Bubbles". You have a lot more patience than me for that scale.

Latest Threads