Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Group Build - The War in the Desert 1941 - 1943

I bloody love the Airfix multipose sets, but there's very little else out there in the same scale, or at least nowhere near what's available in 1/35.

I got the German NW Europe Infantry through today, looking through them, they do look good, the faces are impressively sculpted,
odd that they don't provide a strip of thin plasticard for slings and straps, the 1/32 classic range used to. I plan to make this one in the near furture.
box art.jpg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I know they were common, do you know if they were worn by infantry in the attack. It seems alien to me knowing the battering your elbows and knees get.
Seen quite a few pictures showing British & Commonwealth forces wearing shorts to the extent that an American General is reputed to have said "What is it with these limeys, going to war in their underwear?"

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I know they were common, do you know if they were worn by infantry in the attack. It seems alien to me knowing the battering your elbows and knees get.
Further to post #440, here are some examples;
054e6fac195a8ae79ddaf515b2a86323.jpg

R5d787be61a403fb3cb9d47b95b058b1f (1).jpeg

OIP (1).jpeg

db85c1da796a5338ef206575b2b061c0.jpg

4c14ce77ce98e077d616f14309aed170.jpg

81eba568cbf520a06dc1042d482ae65e--ww-uniforms-british-uniforms.jpg

Hope this heps, sprocks.

On a more recent note, when CS95 came in and pullovers ceased to be de rigeur on range days, I took to wearing elbow supports and long johns to save my delicate elbows and knees. So I'm quite surprised at the absence of photos depicting hose tops pulled over the knees for the same purpose.

On a more recent note, when CS95 came in and pullovers ceased to be de rigeur on range days, I took to wearing elbow supports and long johns to save my delicate elbows and knees. So I'm quite surprised at the absence of photos depicting hose tops pulled over the knees for the same purpose.
Shirts, hairy type KF would have taken your mind off any discomfort of wearing shorts .

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Giving them Biscuits AB to eat.
Must constitute a War Crime.
Just noticed the tins. We got the same tins of biscuits as emergency rations in GW1! It's a great picture that says a lot about attitudes when the fighting was over.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Ah, but those were the days of Empire when men were men.

And goats were nervous...

Latest Threads