LE
5E80CE38-3CE2-4E02-898B-D8DCA61AD0CE.jpeg
Oh, go on, then...

Hande_hoch_colourised.jpg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I take it you two didn't see the young lady painting the elephant I posted earlier then? The Russians in particular have developed it into a genuine art form.
That is at a level most of us can aspire to! If I was halfway as good as that, my life would be complete.
They are almost certainly decals. You can get decals for uniform camouflage patterns now - MTP, Flek etc
I thought that originally, but even if it was, that is a damned difficult decal to get just right! Sorry Si, after see @Helm post on the elephant, I believe there are excellent artist's out there.

That is at a level most of us can aspire to! If I was halfway as good as that, my life would be complete.

I thought that originally, but even if it was, that is a damned difficult decal to get just right! Sorry Si, after see @Helm post on the elephant, I believe there are excellent artist's out there.

There are sone very talented people out there, but have you tried googling 'Elephant Transfers Modelling'?:)

ches

LE
I take it you two didn't see the young lady painting the elephant I posted earlier then? The Russians in particular have developed it into a genuine art form.

Yep saw that & she is a genuine artist. I'm a bit dubious of some of the examples ppl post - as there seem to be a large number of super talented ppl out there but apart from isolated social media posts you dont really see them anywhere else. I just wonder about the ratio of super talented ppl with this level of ability in relation to your average modeller.

Daz

LE
Might spark some ideas, it even has a camel or two

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Might spark some ideas, it even has a camel or two

That last bloke was a greedy twat! Fecking gob like that, he could've swallowed the whole camel!

Daz

LE
That last bloke was a greedy twat! Fecking gob like that, he could've swallowed the whole camel!
Cry's of "Oi you kunt, only one fecking Bratwurst" :)

Just in case I don't manage to make the dio I was going to start I'll just post this bust I did a few years ago.

DSC02700 (2020_03_19 12_32_42 UTC).JPG
DSC02701 (2020_03_19 12_32_42 UTC).JPG
DSC02702 (2020_03_19 12_32_42 UTC).JPG
DSC02695 (2020_03_19 12_32_42 UTC).JPG

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How/why is the Troop on the left floating? The pic quality looks like it was superimposed and it’s a faked photo.
The photo is posed. If you read Osprey's "El Alamein", the caption under the picture actually admits this. The "kraut mit hande hoch" is in reality, the battalion's slop jockey! Many pictures were posed like this to improve morale for the folks back home.

ches

LE
He isn't floating so much as running, there are a cpl of pics in the series from the same angle. Seen others of the tommy in less aggressive stance but in the same relationship to the tank. Obvs the photographer pissing about with his composition.
The giveaway for many of the staged pics is the lack of belt kit & packs. Up the blue the inf wouldn't have been far away from their webbing & small packs on the advance.

Just as I've purchased these figures, I know, they're old. But I like them, 1/32 scale, great big weapons. Although the box top artist has drawn the .303 rifles too tiny, they look like .22 mini rifles for Cadets.
box art.jpg

that aside, did attacking Infantry wear shorts, is that a PR phot thing? taking cover on some of the hard rocky surfaces would be painful on your knees. And did the Bren Gunner have special pouches?
instruction diagram.jpg

I'm thinking of a diorama with these guys taking cover behind a 1/32 Crusader that's been in the stash for ages, all this after my Trawler of course, but you have to plan ahead.

Classic pic that. Seem to recall that the tanker is a cook dressed up as a jerry & the lad approaching was another of the camp (camp as in harbour not...........) atts & dets looking warry. Some other classic 8th army ones of blokes advancing & that was also the cooks & bottle washers getting a few mins of glory.
Same pair here ?

1612914139379.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Just as I've purchased these figures, I know, they're old. But I like them, 1/32 scale, great big weapons. Although the box top artist has drawn the .303 rifles too tiny, they look like .22 mini rifles for Cadets.
View attachment 548155
that aside, did attacking Infantry wear shorts, is that a PR phot thing? taking cover on some of the hard rocky surfaces would be painful on your knees. And did the Bren Gunner have special pouches?
View attachment 548156
I'm thinking of a diorama with these guys taking cover behind a 1/32 Crusader that's been in the stash for ages, all this after my Trawler of course, but you have to plan ahead.
I bloody love the Airfix multipose sets, but there's very little else out there in the same scale, or at least nowhere near what's available in 1/35.

I used this very kit for my last big build years ago, a diorama based in southern Italy:

1612946400227.png

1612946412330.png

1612946427989.png

As @SPROCKET321 says, the weapons particularly are so much more detailed.

I bloody love the Airfix multipose sets, but there's very little else out there in the same scale, or at least nowhere near what's available in 1/35.

I used this very kit for my last big build years ago, a diorama based in southern Italy:

View attachment 548211
As @SPROCKET321 says, the weapons particularly are so much more detailed.
Dad would use a combination of Airfix and Historex in his figures. These guy are that combination.
14F5EC2E-2344-4E5B-8D84-F7065A800908.jpeg
14F5EC2E-2344-4E5B-8D84-F7065A800908.jpeg

View attachment 548155
View attachment 548156
Shorts were quite common, they were even worn in the far east at the beginning.

There were special 37 Patt utility pouches which held three Bren magazines. Superficially they looked like the normal front pouches, but were deeper. They came in a linked pair, connected by a strap which fitted over the left shoulder, and so there was one pouch on the left chest and the other on the back over the left shoulder blade. They did not attach to the waist belt as did the standard pouch, but had a simple long strap which passed around the body to hold them in place.

1612953652934.png

Also, Bren magazines (and later LMG mags) came in a steel carrying case holding 12 magazines.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Shown here, rifleman next to the Bren gunner (different method of wearing):

1612953545978.png

As I understand it, each rifleman in the section carried a Bren mag in his pouch, the loader's job was to collect them when under fire, and deliver to the gunner. Not a job I'd fancy...

Last edited:

Latest Threads