Builds Group Build - The War in the Desert 1941 - 1943

The details make perfection
I have learned some history lessons since following this thread
Ta a much
L.P.C.

I've been meaning to ask for a while - are you a 1/35th or 1/32nd Corporal? You know - with you being little and everything

I’ve been meaning to point out and ask why no one is building German armour?

5E80CE38-3CE2-4E02-898B-D8DCA61AD0CE.jpeg

There are some classic photo’s of German armour and some great dio opportunities like this one for example.

just asking

ches

LE

View attachment 543434
There are some classic photo’s of German armour and some great dio opportunities like this one for example.

just asking

Classic pic that. Seem to recall that the tanker is a cook dressed up as a jerry & the lad approaching was another of the camp (camp as in harbour not...........) atts & dets looking warry. Some other classic 8th army ones of blokes advancing & that was also the cooks & bottle washers getting a few mins of glory.

PFGEN

GCM

View attachment 543434

just asking

Prompted by this and Ches' comment on the cook this would be my choice for the dio; Wolfie's old man. Maybe better for the EU theatre.

SdKfz BP.jpg

Last edited:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

View attachment 543434

just asking
It seems strange, perhaps people are more interested in the other aspects of the Desert war. I do know, that I am a tad fed up with all the Germans and Shermans that certain kit producers seem besotted with. There is also the rivet counters to contend with. Eg: What you thought was a Panzer II ausf c was in fact an ausf e because it had three more spokes on the drive wheel than the ausf c! Or the classic, that bergschmutze he's wearing wasn't issued until 1944, so that can't be right. Better to stick with camels!

It seems strange, perhaps people are more interested in the other aspects of the Desert war. I do know, that I am a tad fed up with all the Germans and Shermans that certain kit producers seem besotted with. There is also the rivet counters to contend with. Eg: What you thought was a Panzer II ausf c was in fact an ausf e because it had three more spokes on the drive wheel than the ausf c! Or the classic, that bergschmutze he's wearing wasn't issued until 1944, so that can't be right. Better to stick with camels!
I’ve been on a FB international figure modellers page, I’ve just about had enough. Apart from some of the Middle Ages stuff coming out of Russia (it’s astounding), it seems everyone does nothing but WW2 Waffen SS busts or figures.

View attachment 543434

just asking
We would be up to our necks in Tigers otherwise. Every man and his dog seem to have a Tiger on the go at the moment.

Example of what’s coming out of Russia.
6BE551F5-BEF3-4372-8AEE-FECA0634BFE5.jpeg

ches

LE
They are almost certainly decals. You can get decals for uniform camouflage patterns now - MTP, Flek etc

What he said. I'm dubious about some of the 'painting' jobs esp on some of the smaller scale stuff. There are a few superb artists in this hobby but the amount of work to the standard above doesn't correlate with the skills of your 'average' modeller.

offog

LE
Should be 3 more rivets on the left sabaton though :)
And any fool can see that they have depicted sunflower oil on the plate and not olive oil as would be the case in real life.

But seriously some of the moulding and poses coming out of the East are extremely good. Very crisp and well thought out. I hope it puts a rocket under the arrse of the old guard.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
They are almost certainly decals. You can get decals for uniform camouflage patterns now - MTP, Flek etc
What he said. I'm dubious about some of the 'painting' jobs esp on some of the smaller scale stuff. There are a few superb artists in this hobby but the amount of work to the standard above doesn't correlate with the skills of your 'average' modeller.
I take it you two didn't see the young lady painting the elephant I posted earlier then? The Russians in particular have developed it into a genuine art form.

I take it you two didn't see the young lady painting the elephant I posted earlier then? The Russians in particular have developed it into a genuine art form.
I was watching a YouTube film of some Russian Oligarch, he’s got hundreds of these. All medieval from pre 1066 English knights to 16th Century Mounted Japanese Samurai, all painted to this standard.