Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Group Build - The War in the Desert 1941 - 1943

Daz

LE
Just ordered - Trumpeter 1:32 - Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4/Trop Completion date.......... 10 years after the wokka :)

let's just say the Western Desert Campaign.

So, deffo not the 1940 Somaliland Campaign with unusual aircraft like the Vickers Wellesley and SAAF-operated Ju86s?;)

So, deffo not the 1940 Somaliland Campaign with unusual aircraft like the Vickers Wellesley and SAAF-operated Ju86s?;)
That is the tip of the iceberg for East Africa - the following aircraft are all legit inclusions for RAF and SAAF:
Fury (achieved its only known kill in Commonwealth service)
Gauntlet
Gladiator
Hurricane I
Vincent
Audax
Hardy
Hartbeest
Anson
Battle
Blenheims I and IV
Ju52/3m
Valentia
Mohawk IV
Envoy as makeshift SAAF recce

I have doubtless missed some!

Not a chance in hell is the answer, you need either a Bf 109 E-7 trop, Bf 109 F-4 trop, Bf 109 G-2 trop and Bf 109 G-4 trop for those dates in the main, that G/K kit is far to late

oh well, I was kind of expecting that, I could always fall back on another one in the stash I'm keen to build, though I haven't done my research yet and someone in the Africa Corps know will be along and say...no chance with that either I'm afraid.
German mobile arty marder 1.jpg

oh well, I was kind of expecting that, I could always fall back on another one in the stash I'm keen to build, though I haven't done my research yet and someone in the Africa Corps know will be along and say...no chance with that either I'm afraid.
View attachment 528231
Sorry, not aware of any SdKfz 135s making it to North Africa. Some did see service on the Eastern Front, but most were kept in France and saw most service in Normandy.

Sorry, not aware of any SdKfz 135s making it to North Africa. Some did see service on the Eastern Front, but most were kept in France and saw most service in Normandy.
oh well, I was kind of expecting that, I could always fall back on another one in the stash I'm keen to build.... oh that's it....e bay?

Daz

LE
Didn’t Marseilles get most of his kills in a F4 Tropical, eventually losing his life in one?
Yes, apart from the death, he died bailing out of a faulty Bf 109G-2

Daz

LE
View attachment 528231
In North Africa
While the majority of the Marder Is would be used on the Western and Eastern fronts, few would also be found in North Africa. The 334th Infantry Division was to be resupplied with a Marder I company and, for this reason, the crewmen necessary to operate these vehicles were to be sent to the September training centre at the start of December 1942. After the completion of the crew training, which lasted two weeks, this company with 9 Marder I and 6 ammunition transport vehicles were to be transported from Naples to Tunisia by using the large Me 323 transport planes. By 1st March 1943, there were 8 vehicles operational with 4 under repair. Due to losses, this company was reinforced with Marder III vehicles based on the Panzer 38(t) chassis in early April 1943. Two Marder Is together with a group of Marder III participated in the defence of the Kairouan Line against Allied tanks. In the following engagement, seven enemy tanks were destroyed with the loss of one Marder I and five Marder III.

Daz

LE
oh yes, the Big T, it'll fit together well, I just don't expect it to have an interior.
View attachment 528245
I did look at that one, skipped over it in favour of the larger one - BTW, it does have an interior, just not a great one by today's standards, but its a lot better than Revells G10

In North Africa
While the majority of the Marder Is would be used on the Western and Eastern fronts, few would also be found in North Africa. The 334th Infantry Division was to be resupplied with a Marder I company and, for this reason, the crewmen necessary to operate these vehicles were to be sent to the September training centre at the start of December 1942. After the completion of the crew training, which lasted two weeks, this company with 9 Marder I and 6 ammunition transport vehicles were to be transported from Naples to Tunisia by using the large Me 323 transport planes. By 1st March 1943, there were 8 vehicles operational with 4 under repair. Due to losses, this company was reinforced with Marder III vehicles based on the Panzer 38(t) chassis in early April 1943. Two Marder Is together with a group of Marder III participated in the defence of the Kairouan Line against Allied tanks. In the following engagement, seven enemy tanks were destroyed with the loss of one Marder I and five Marder III.
I stand corrected!

Daz

LE
I stand corrected!
No problem, BTW, other reports suggest that up to 27 were sent, but it's unclear as if some of those were misidentified and were in fact 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf) auf Geschutzwagen Lr.S. (f) - I have seen a photo labelled Panzerjäger Lorraine-Schlepper für 7,5 cm Pak 40/1 (Sd.Kfz. 135) in North Africa and it was clearly a 15 cm Geschutzwagen Lr.S.

I did look at that one, skipped over it in favour of the larger one - BTW, it does have an interior, just not a great one by today's standards, but its a lot better than Revells G10
I wonder if Eduard does an interior, and other parts, like an engine. I'm on a roll with destroyed kit, but it does require exposed parts you wouldn't otherwise see.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fill yer boots...

a062deded0b2e67f1888ad54a29ba7cc.jpg

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

b907aa2e17db51ed54c69ecb58067031.jpg

Took me forever to find this...
French-Armour-ww2-web.jpg

Latest Threads