Builds Group Build - The War in the Desert 1941 - 1943

Well my return to the Darkside has turned up.
FD0155B6-8A12-47D9-8E4A-A9F2B2392E1D.jpeg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice to see the thread getting back on track! Reminiscing about our formative year has no place here. Either pm each other or swap phone numbers. Please keep the forum for model making.

Has anyone had dealings with International Models Asia, they produce a resin interior for the Vickers. Are they any good, I can’t afford to Chuck money away if their 5hit!

Has anyone had dealings with International Models Asia, they produce a resin interior for the Vickers. Are they any good, I can’t afford to Chuck money away if their 5hit!
Which Vickers?

Daz

LE

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Try these people...
Excellent service and despatch immediately.
That’s the one I was put onto earlier on, does look rather good and the Aussie who recommended it spoke highly of the bloke.
But I’ve had a serious think, as I’m just starting back after a extremely long time. I feel it’ll be better not to go down that route, till I’ve seen how my patients is.

Replying to my own post: I'm not sure I can build this! I haven't done any 1/35th scale for about 40yrs, and the intervening yrs have not been kind to my eyes and dexterity.

I looked at the destructions and the sprue's. The tip of my scalpel is bigger than some of the bit's I need to fit together. Also kit's have become very detailed as well. No longer can I just slap them together and slap some paint on.

Proper thinking needed me thinks. To sell or to attempt to build. If I try to build and give up I wont get my money back if I sell on. Or cut my losses sell all together with the extra bits I've bought without opening any of the sprue bags.

Thoughts gentlemen please.

Replying to my own post: I'm not sure I can build this! I haven't done any 1/35th scale for about 40yrs, and the intervening yrs have not been kind to my eyes and dexterity.

I looked at the destructions and the sprue's. The tip of my scalpel is bigger than some of the bit's I need to fit together. Also kit's have become very detailed as well. No longer can I just slap them together and slap some paint on.

Proper thinking needed me thinks. To sell or to attempt to build. If I try to build and give up I wont get my money back if I sell on. Or cut my losses sell all together with the extra bits I've bought without opening any of the sprue bags.

My 2d.
Keep hold of them and get something a bit easier and cheaper to start with. Try an Airfix 1/35 truck or maybe something to tow the Gun with?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

As per Northern Biff or start with the basic crew figures, just assemble torso etc, not their kit and work from there.

Same recommendation as made to @Dinger - get a 1/35 Tamiya PII tank. Easy to assemble. Not complex and you will have a nice model.

As others have suggested maybe try something simpler if you feel you'd be more comfortable, but keep this one as the first brick in a stash for later that can take over your world.

Daz

LE

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Go for the Tamiya 25 pounder, limber and Quad, with crew. It's a lot easier build and not as many tiny bits to lose to the carpet monster.

NSP

LE
Interesting to see those P40Es displaying the Stars and Stripes, on both sides of the cockpit. The flag is also directional with the Stars to the front.
That's how they do it with the shoulder patches, too, isn't it, even today - the right arm patch appears backwards (or, as the flag would be seen if observing the pole from the north in a westerly wind)...?

Seems it's something to do with the stars having to always be forward as the US never retreats, or something:-

Latest Threads