Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Group Build - The War in the Desert 1941 - 1943

Daz

LE
Saw these previewed a while ago but seem to be set for imminent release

Repop of this set from 2009, new artwork and not a lot else it seems
51Lq7hEn1UL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Daz

LE
The old fashioned way of doing the build

589ff173606be5cffe8825a429d0353f.jpg

Ah, the cheeky blighters. Mind you it does say Special Edition........I can't see any Pioneer Corps TF's though. Hmmm
looks like they have added a couple of sprues from their British weapons set hence the No4 rifles and extra Brens

Gentlemen if you go to Imperial War Museum, Photo Archive. You’ll find all the stuff you need. Such as these. It looks like our boys in Nth Africa used the No4 SMLE.View attachment 540022View attachment 540023View attachment 540024View attachment 540025View attachment 540026

Third photo caught my eye after noticing airborne helmet (Google suggests 1st Parachute Brigade, Tunisia, Nov 42 - Apr 43).
Can an SMLE head confirm whether the spike bayonet was only used on the No. 4? - I can understand why Airborne forces may have been the exception to my above comment re No. 4 in N. Africa though.

Gentlemen today on the box:-

Two parter PBS AMERICA. DESERT WAR
EPISODE 1 TOBRUK. TODAY AT 10:55 hrs or 16:25.
EPISODE 2 ALAMEIN. TODAY AT 20:55 hrs TOMORROW 11:00, 16:05.
Thanks for that, just set it to record.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Third photo caught my eye after noticing airborne helmet (Google suggests 1st Parachute Brigade, Tunisia, Nov 42 - Apr 43).
Can an SMLE head confirm whether the spike bayonet was only used on the No. 4? - I can understand why Airborne forces may have been the exception to my above comment re No. 4 in N. Africa though.
Never seen a spike bayonet ('pig-sticker') on an SMLE.

Spent about three or so hours on the first figure yesterday, trying to recreate the pose from a few bits off 1/35 British figures and it simply doesnt work.

I spent 40 quid last night on various tools to do figure casting - having watched a few videos this appears to be a bit of an art. What I plan to do is nick the boots and puttees off the plastic lads - that will save me some time. @Helm was right when he wished me the best of luck. I've just looked at some peoples efforts on a figure modelling site and they are bordering on comical...... the work of people with learning difficulties

ches

LE
Spent about three or so hours on the first figure yesterday, trying to recreate the pose from a few bits off 1/35 British figures and it simply doesnt work.

I spent 40 quid last night on various tools to do figure casting - having watched a few videos this appears to be a bit of an art. What I plan to do is nick the boots and puttees off the plastic lads - that will save me some time. @Helm was right when he wished me the best of luck. I've just looked at some peoples efforts on a figure modelling site and they are bordering on comical...... the work of people with learning difficulties

My bold......you'll feel right at home then!!
Mind you, we all would......

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

It's not something you can just "do" mate, so many factors need to be learned from anatomy to drapery. Just take it slow.

Daz

LE
Ah - Mea Culpa! I thought all Lee Enfields were various marks of SMLE - I'll report to BOTR for re-education.

Does it only go on the No.4 though and not earlier ones?
Nicked from a sad bastard site

DSCN0218-1.jpg

From left to right:
1) P1888 Bayonet, issued with Long Lee Enfields and Long Lee Metfords.
2) P1903 Bayonet, issued with the SMLE MkI, and as a substitute standard with the MkIII
3) P1907 Bayonet, issued with the SMLE MkIII, MkIII*, Con'd IV, and MkI**IP. Early examples are sometimes found with a hooked quilion (expensive and rare)
4) P1907MkII*, issued in WW2, eastern theatre, with Indian forces. Also found with a rounded pommel like that on the P1907 bayonet (the MkII no *, both fullered and unfullered). Most were destroyed or stamped "DP" after the war.
5) The typical No.4MkII bayonet, issued with the No.4MkI and MkI*. Also encounteres is the identical looking MkII*, differing only in method of attachment of the rod/blade.
6) WW2 No.4MkIII bayonet, intended to be issued as a substitute standard with the No.4MkI and MkI*, though most were never issued.
7) No.9 bayonet, issued with the No.4Mk2.

If that helps :)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Nicked from a sad bastard site

View attachment 540782

From left to right:
1) P1888 Bayonet, issued with Long Lee Enfields and Long Lee Metfords.
2) P1903 Bayonet, issued with the SMLE MkI, and as a substitute standard with the MkIII
3) P1907 Bayonet, issued with the SMLE MkIII, MkIII*, Con'd IV, and MkI**IP. Early examples are sometimes found with a hooked quilion (expensive and rare)
4) P1907MkII*, issued in WW2, eastern theatre, with Indian forces. Also found with a rounded pommel like that on the P1907 bayonet (the MkII no *, both fullered and unfullered). Most were destroyed or stamped "DP" after the war.
5) The typical No.4MkII bayonet, issued with the No.4MkI and MkI*. Also encounteres is the identical looking MkII*, differing only in method of attachment of the rod/blade.
6) WW2 No.4MkIII bayonet, intended to be issued as a substitute standard with the No.4MkI and MkI*, though most were never issued.
7) No.9 bayonet, issued with the No.4Mk2.

If that helps :)
@paddyplanty, as you can see above, the No.4 bayonet is a socket bayonet. It fits over the muzzle of the rifle in a way that wouldn't work with the SMLE.

ches

LE
Mate of mine used to have an open grate with real fire, his poker was SMLE MkIII bayonet - 3rd in above pic.
I remember militaria shows in the 80s & 90's where buckets of those sorts of things were on sale - about a fiver a pop for some of them. Why oh why didn't I bother.

Cheers @Daz - knew a definitive answer would come along.

Additional factoid. After Fairbairn and Sykes designed their fighting knife, they were manufactured from obsolete stock of nos. I and 2. - note distinctive ricasso.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I was on the lookout for something that may help you there Si, and found these....
s-l500.jpg

Just wondered if the jerkins could be elongated and sleeves built up. May not be quite as bad as a total sculpt. Hope it helps and it was just a thought.