Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Group build - Desert Build; Smeggers' Khoufra Oasis.

@ Smiggers
Did some research and came across this from the, " defense.gouv.fr dated , 09/04/2013
(Hommage) le serment de Koufra
A photo
One star general Leclerc with a black long sleeved, carrying his walking stick and surrounded by 6 others, at least
One in shorts and short sleeves (defo a sous officer...N.C.O.)
One other with white pantalons
Another with a white vest... defo Officer's
The person saluting is also an officer, maybe the Commandant Hous?
The Senageleas were the majority of the troop and might be wearing red Fees
The véhicules were mostly civilian and adapted for the occasion...nick named (Cawadji)
1 in 5 of the force were Europeans (whites) and the majority Senageleas and probably wearing red Fees (to be confirmed)
I couldn't post the picture because it's a government site and all rights reserved
L.P.C.
"I couldn't post the picture because it's a government site and all rights reserved"
@LepetitCaporal
Does it face the public internet? or can't you post a link?
It's odd that historical photographs like that can't be viewed........copied and ownership rights are a different matter.

@ Smiggers
Did some research and came across this from the, " defense.gouv.fr dated , 09/04/2013
(Hommage) le serment de Koufra
A photo
One star general Leclerc with a black long sleeved, carrying his walking stick and surrounded by 6 others, at least
One in shorts and short sleeves (defo a sous officer...N.C.O.)
One other with white pantalons
Another with a white vest... defo Officer's
The person saluting is also an officer, maybe the Commandant Hous?
The Senageleas were the majority of the troop and might be wearing red Fees
The véhicules were mostly civilian and adapted for the occasion...nick named (Cawadji)
1 in 5 of the force were Europeans (whites) and the majority Senageleas and probably wearing red Fees (to be confirmed)
I couldn't post the picture because it's a government site and all rights reserved
L.P.C.
Is this the photo? Hope I'm not breaking any laws.
1611509885447.png

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you're going to have colonial soldiers I assume that you will be 'blacking up' some whiteys. This causes racial offence by proxy. You must scour the internet for models of BAME soldiers. Additionally, you must include several LGBGTQA+ soldiers.
I'd also point out the need to find appropriate modellers and painters for these soldiers. No way can a straight, white dude contemplate painting soldiers of alternate ethnicity or gender preference or identification. Or language, come to that. Best of luck finding a trans Berber to paint the harkis.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Back to the original thread title. I'm calling this done. Added a bit of flora and a few more animals and hey presto! An enjoyable build, but anymore and it will be overkill.
IMG_20210216_212605.jpg
IMG_20210216_212624.jpg

IMG_20210216_212635.jpg

IMG_20210216_212654.jpg

IMG_20210216_212735.jpg
IMG_20210216_212801.jpg

IMG_20210216_212851.jpg

IMG_20210216_212902.jpg

Smelters out!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Back to the original thread title. I'm calling this done. Added a bit of flora and a few more animals and hey presto! An enjoyable build, but anymore and it will be overkill.
View attachment 550167View attachment 550168
View attachment 550169
View attachment 550170
View attachment 550171View attachment 550172
View attachment 550175
View attachment 550177

Smelters out!
Where's the bloke with the myrrh? I can see the gold and Frankenstein blokes but no myrrh! Looks a cracking scene though and very different.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Where's the bloke with the myrrh? I can see the gold and Frankenstein blokes but no myrrh! Looks a cracking scene though and very different.
Thanks for those kind words. I said I would do something different. I am also in the process of a second Desert diorama, but this time with fewer blokes and a couple of vehicles.

Bugger beaten to the punch, I was going to ask were’s the manger?
Rather nice Smegger’s , reminds me of Dads Camel and rider. Still that bloody good mate.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bugger beaten to the punch, I was going to ask were’s the manger?
Rather nice Smegger’s , reminds me of Dads Camel and rider. Still that bloody good mate.
Cheers mate!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads