Group B Officers (OTC) = Group A Officers?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Mongoose, Feb 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings,

whilst browsing the OTC Directive I noticed a para that states "...OTC OCdts are Commissioned as TA Group B subalterns (this will change to Group A, date to be confirmed)"

And talking about Group B to A Transfer "...This process will be made simpler when all TA Commissions from TACC are Group A."

I can see the idea behind this myself, however some people out there have a deep seated "hatred" for the UOTC and may well feel a OTC 2Lt is inferior to a Group A 2Lt, which obviously must change when they're both the same thing (in theory?)

So, a good idea to improve output from UOTC to Group A units?

2. msr

msr LE

Let's hope it encourages them to join the TA when they leave the OTC

3. Both do exactly the same pre training and are tested in the same things on the same commissioning course so in that respect, yes when they walk out the factory gates they are exactly the same.

The differences start to develop when they return to their respective units, the group A subby going back to his unit will have a great deal more soldier career management, training and real word issues to deal with. Troops have jobs, mortgages, wives, kids etc.

The group B subby going back to his UOTC will largely be dealing with his peers, will not have a large amount of career management to deal with and the majority of the Ocdts he commands will not have real world responsibilities such as wives and kids (there are of course exceptions).

So, in my experience, the level of responsibilty placed on a subaltern in a group A unit is significantly higher than that placed on a group B subaltern in a UOTC, and I say that having been both.

As regards smoothing the transition from group B to group A, the actual process of changing engagement type is hardly stressful. The difficult part is stepping up to the increased soldier welfare and training responsibilities in a group A unit having spent a year as group B.

4. In my experience the level of responsibility of a Gp B Subaltern is practically zero.

Not just the soldier welfare & training, but reporting, equipment and a whole raft of other stuff...

5. To be perfectly frank, the reason that a lot of UOTC cadets commision is so that they can be saluted and lord it over the other UOTC cadets. Very few that I know would actually consider moving across to a TA unit (I know of one). Some use it as a dry run for the regular commissioning process. The UOTC local to me has at least ten subbies who could be troop commanders in TA units, yet choose to stay in the UOTC despite not being paid. Is it really an effective use o the armys money to give these people a TA commission if they are not going to use it? As someone of their age group, I can understand why they would be reluctant to leave the UOTC, but it seems uttlery pointless to me to put a large number of OTC through the TA comissioning process if almost none of them are actually going to be TA officers.

6. This old debate...
    Perhaps because the TA is not so suited to University life and long holidays etc?

Back on topic; Whilst there is no substitue for experience....I do feel that UOTCs could send their subbies to the post commissioning training that 'Group A' Officers get as standard - MOD 5 and special to arms courses. Try, for example, getting on PCTC as a UOTC subbie, it won't happen.

Edited to remove random capital letter.

7. I've seen OTC at Brecon and on Mod5

8. How many as a preportion of those who want to do it?

9. I don't know, I'm not OTC. But there have been OTC bods on those courses when I have been on them, so they can do them.

10. I believe you can do MOD5 (or whatever its called now) providing you are intent on transfering , so says the OTC directive (something along those lines)

11. And I quote "PCT...may be undertaken at an RTC by those subalterns who are intent upon transfer to a Group A unit or who wish to obtain civilian accreditation with the Chartered management Institute.

12. Come to think of it that makes sense, the one on PCT was a TASO so he'll obviously be looking at transferring to TA then.

Chartered Management accreditation?? Do tell me more, how do I pick up this, and is it worth having on your CV?