Group 4 Training our Men

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by billc, Oct 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. • The Army is so short of soldiers that it has hired Group 4 Securicor to help train British troops heading for frontline operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The £7million contract will see the private company's staff being paid to demonstrate key military skills such as quelling riots, storming enemy compounds and carrying out vehicle checks - as well as dressing up to play the parts of enemy fighters or local civilians in training exercises.

This is from the Daily Mail today. Whit the feck is happening, how many riots have these people quelled in some office block they are guarding at 3 in the morning.

2. I recall seeing something about them recruiting. I think most of them are ex-soldiers.

Still dogshit though.

3. This is just the thin end of the wedge.

Have the plans for the whole of basic training to be handed over to civilian contractors been finalised yet? Talk of a super training establishment in Wales IIRC.

4. Fek it, they have privatised everything else, why not the forces. We have enough men in grey uniforms (not RAF) with the Security Companies. Extend the license and they could supply all the needs of the Armed Forces. After all don't BlackHawk have land, air and sea based elements.

5. I work for G4S and that scares the shite out of me. There was talk a couple of years ago of G4 taking the responsibility of PCSO's and i thought that was bad enough. I have worked in many roles within security but i havent met many who could prepare these guys for what they are about to experience.
    You guys seem to be getting kicked in the teeth time after time :evil:
    I thankyou all but cannot understand WHY after being constantly let down by this country.

6. Thats a wah right? Fcuking hell!

7. No Wah. This was one of the plans being discussed a couple of years ago, I don't know how far it got. I think there were even some groovy artists impressions of what it would look like, though I could be thinking of a different project.

8. Had similar once, not privitisation of job roles but pushing out job roles that were once filled by Military to Civil Service. Reasons given were to release the Military to enable them to deploy to war fighting roles and to keep the cost down. Typically the roles were Pte(Sig) to Cpl based, had massive problems recruiting the right calibre but because Civil Service post had to take any old crap CS person. Also after a couple of years found that they actually strarted to cost more than your Military personal due to time incriments etc.

Standards fell, cost rose and we can't get rid of the fekers.

9. Read about it here.

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Old story rehashed as part of this article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=485962&in_page_id=1770

11. Two things about this article,
    First G4S are going to supply an initial 150 men, this tells me that the army is so thin on the ground that 150 men is now outside its capability, overstretch anyone?
    Secondly that G4S aims eventually to have 1,000 men employed on the scheme, so that's 1,000 armed uniformed men loose in the country answerable to G4S board of directors and their shareholders. Lucky we are not some third world country full of dodgy corrupt politicians with an eye to the main chance. Because a unit like that might prove a temptation.

12. This is phase 2 and 3 trg which has always been taught by a mixture of civil and military instructors. They are not replacing military instructors, simply using a firm to provide the civillian element which I believe were either employed by the unit/garrison or where Civil Servants. Basically units and the CS could not pay the going rate to get the right people in to teach, it is hoped that this will! We will see.

13. Time to turn back the clocks to pre Berlin wall down days - move armour and a hell of a lot more infantry. John Major and those that filled his shoes (but not Edwina!), cnuts the lot of you!

14. Oh yes they fuckin are

That is exactly what the REME have done with all of their phase 2 and 3 instruction. It started out as a couple of civvies to support the soldiers and even in the few short years between my basics and upgrader courses almost all of the remaining military have been replaced by good old Thorny Vospercroft.

Is it just me or is it starting to sound almost possible that phase 1 could be instructed by civvy contracters before long