Ground Game Act 1880

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Beerhunter, Jun 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone come across this Act? Its gives the occupier of land an absolute right to shoot Ground Game, that is to say rabbits and hare, no matter who has the Sporting Rights on the land.

I thought that I was reasonably conversant with shooting law but this was new one on me.

Another of the lesser known Acts (or part of Acts that often seem completely irrelevant to shooting) that makes shooting in the UK so "interesting". For example, the Highways Act 1980 which is so often misquoted; that is say leaving out: "and in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered"
  2. Sounds about right if it involves tennant farmers.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not forgetting the 1954 Pest act which mandates landowners and tennants to control rabbits and pigeons. Labour tried to remove it from the Statute books but I think its still there. ground game excludes deer I do believe.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Actually I think it gave permission provided you held a game license to kill or take game. That was the trick, most tenant farm workers in tied cottages couldnt afford the £4 a year hence it was abolished (the bit about licenses) in England and Wales anyway!
  5. Not sure, but I think the part was that the deer had to be in the act of destroying (eating) the crop at the time of shooting.
  6. Ground Game Act 1880

Read 'fair Game' it's not bad imo:
    Fair Game: The Law of Country Sports and the Protection of Wildlife: Charlie Parkes, John Thornley: Books

I like this one the best. You used to get deported! Unlawful Drilling Act 1819

Or this, beating your carpets! Town Police Clauses Act 1847
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats in the deer act but they must be shot on the ground where they are causing the damage not necessarily at the time they are causing it! That allows certain out of season taking for crop protection which is why its in the deer act!
  8. Pests Act 1954

9. Deer Act 1991
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If you read Archie Coates works he used to get cartridges issued by the Govt agricultural agent and sell the pigeons for a living. Wonderful way to eke out the army pension.
  11. Yep, don't forget lawful authority or excuse either: Highways Act 1980
    Don't play football either ;-)

Not forgetting: Town Police Clauses Act 1847
  12. Hares & Rabbits only in the Act

No Game License required under the Act.

Prior to the Act, it seems that tenants were having their crops ravaged by bunnies and could do nothing about because the Sporting Rights were reserved to the Freeholder. The Ground Game Act gave them the right to protect their crops.
  13. Ah, right you are! Memory somewhat defunct as it is Friday!