Groin pain during pressups

Hi all, bit of a weird question I know.

I've found recently whilst doing pressups, when I get above something like 10-15 pressups, I start getting a pulling pain in my groin - about 3 inches up and to the side of the old fella. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening and how I could remedy it whilst still being able to do pressups? The pain then feels like I've wrenched something for about a day after I do the exercise.

Last time I timed it I could do 97 pressups in 2 minutes, so it's not a case of being an unfit barsteward.

Thanks in advance.

Obviously when you hold yourself in the position almost everything on the front of the body - abs down - is under tension, just at it would be if you were on your back with your feet off the ground, but less so. You've probably given a tiny tendon a minor tweak, but if anything looks like it is poking out rush to the doc.

Eh, Hernia?

Go to your doctor anyway - you're describing hernia pains.

Safest advice: see your GP 'cos obviously I can't tell from a website whether you have an incarcerated hernia or not.

In real life: If you go to him and say, "it hurts here when I do press ups", he's going to make sure you haven't got a hernia then say "Stop doing press ups".

Give it rest for a few days then restart gently. Gobbyidiot's advice is good - and seek medical help if a lump appears, immediately so if it is painful or won't go back.

FF.

Anorakist said:
Hi all, bit of a weird question I know.

I've found recently whilst doing pressups, when I get above something like 10-15 pressups, I start getting a pulling pain in my groin - about 3 inches up and to the side of the old fella. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening and how I could remedy it whilst still being able to do pressups? The pain then feels like I've wrenched something for about a day after I do the exercise.

Last time I timed it I could do 97 pressups in 2 minutes, so it's not a case of being an unfit barsteward.

Thanks in advance.
One suggestion would be to rest it and do dips or bench pressing instead of push ups - works the triceps, chest and shoulders without hitting the groin and abs.

My son had this and it was a twisted hernia. Worse thing you can do is ignore it (son did hence it twisted). Go to the docs asap! If it isn't a hernia all well and good, if it is it needs sorting.

Sm