Groin pain during pressups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Anorakist, Jan 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, bit of a weird question I know.

I've found recently whilst doing pressups, when I get above something like 10-15 pressups, I start getting a pulling pain in my groin - about 3 inches up and to the side of the old fella. Anyone have any idea why this would be happening and how I could remedy it whilst still being able to do pressups? The pain then feels like I've wrenched something for about a day after I do the exercise.

Last time I timed it I could do 97 pressups in 2 minutes, so it's not a case of being an unfit barsteward.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Obviously when you hold yourself in the position almost everything on the front of the body - abs down - is under tension, just at it would be if you were on your back with your feet off the ground, but less so. You've probably given a tiny tendon a minor tweak, but if anything looks like it is poking out rush to the doc.
  3. Eh, Hernia?
  4. ^That's why Gobby said "if anything looks like it is poking out". Generally a quick sign of a definite hernia.
  5. Groinal Hernia
  6. Go to your doctor anyway - you're describing hernia pains.
  7. Safest advice: see your GP 'cos obviously I can't tell from a website whether you have an incarcerated hernia or not.

In real life: If you go to him and say, "it hurts here when I do press ups", he's going to make sure you haven't got a hernia then say "Stop doing press ups".

Give it rest for a few days then restart gently. Gobbyidiot's advice is good - and seek medical help if a lump appears, immediately so if it is painful or won't go back.

8. One suggestion would be to rest it and do dips or bench pressing instead of push ups - works the triceps, chest and shoulders without hitting the groin and abs.
  9. My son had this and it was a twisted hernia. Worse thing you can do is ignore it (son did hence it twisted). Go to the docs asap! If it isn't a hernia all well and good, if it is it needs sorting.