Grim day for the RAF - 25% of trainee pilots to be axed.

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by sunoficarus, Feb 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Most of us in the RAF will be pretty happy with zobs getting the boot!

2. This is a harsh decision and one that probably involves a degree of short-term inefficiency, especially for those so close to the end of their training. However, it may actually be the right decision for them as a service. Fewer cabs to fly, fewer bums required on seats. Bear in mind that the Army is currently wrestling with how to extract from Germany. The RAF saw the lay of the land and closed two bases in the early 1990s and the remaining two by the end of that decade. Job done. Within the harsh climate we will be in the for the next few years at least, it may well be that the RAF have made exactly the right decision in terms of resources and operational outputs, as they did with Germany. Consider how hard the gunners and RAC are fighting for a role in Afghanistan. If the RAF can sack some of their brightest, maybe the Army could bite the bullet and slaughter a few of our own sacred cows. I'd start wth a Cav Regt. They haven't got any tanks that move anymore.

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Bit severe don't you think, they could always just snlr them. But who am I to argue with the RAF do you think they will use the BFO one out of the Tower of London?

4. Today isn't the grim day... It is old news to the guys that got chopped. Little bit out of date!

(Unless they are planning on chopping another 25%.... Chin Up Crabs!)

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You may come to regret those words acrab! If the number of peelots is reduced then the support for them will follow quickly after. Mind you, it is probably happening now but is not as newsworthy.

6. If you put it to them, I wonder howmany would qualify as pilots and then take a sabatical in or out of the RAF?

Just a quick one, but can an aircraft out-hour the pilots? ie could we have 1 plane flown by 2 or 3 pilots?

7. I suspect the way things are going its going to be more a case of ending up like the Russian air force.

Front line pilots get 1 hour a week and everyone else gets to look at pictures.

8. That's been the case for years in the fast jet world. Not sure about the other branches.

9. I seem to remember reading that in WW2 after Normandy, there was a shortage on infantry, and no real need for large number of Spitfire pilots, therefore a large number of trainee aircrew were "shifted" into the army.

10. Well it makes sense to me.... there wont be any planes for them to fly anyway... In fact I dont know why the government dont just disband the RAF and hire the French Airforce....mmm now where have I heard that idea before???

11. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Sorry to be OT.

The UK is downsizing its armed forces due to what appears, to the foreign observers, for financial reasons.

Will Britain be able to meet its NATO obligations if this continues?

Would it not put a whole lot of stress on the few remaining since the recycling of troops will be faster to meet the NATO obligations in small wars like Afghanistan?

12. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Damn: Shot down on the ground.

The degradation of air support, tanks and big guns is going to make things rather expensive for the PBI if we ever have to fight a big war again.

I suggest all infantry COs get hold of People's Liberation Army manuals, circa 1950, and start drilling their chaps in covert movement, infiltration to the FEBA, and silent night attacks.

13. Come again while I grant the Royal Regiment isn’t firing its Guns as much as it once did in Afghanistan the role of ISTAR and precision strike has lead to huge development in kit and personnel in theatre. Of which the Royal Artillery is at the forefront. The Gunner role is changing but fighting for role is way off.

14. Indeed I know a couple of AMM's (trainee aircraft engineers) who have told to look at retrading or to get out. Of course this is all tied into the overall future vision of the RAF including base closures.