GRIM Challenge – 4/5 Dec - Holidays4Heroes - Aldershot

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The weekend of 4th and 5th December will see a joyous event taking place in Aldershot. No the Para’s aren’t returning, it is that festival of fun, GRIM CHALLENGE :: Original :: Home that also happens to be the highlight of the Aldershot calendar.

This year Holidays4Heroes has managed to have runners arriving for both days during the weekend.

For the Saturday event we have Dolly and Flowers running and for the Sunday I am running.
This is what the organiser have said about the course:
This land is used to test Army vehicles so expect it to be interesting! You will reach a long hill shortly after the start before descending again eventually reaching a water filled ravine. You will run on over puddle-strewn paths before having to crawl under camouflage netting. You'll eventually reach some man-made mounds before arriving at and running through some rather large puddles. Expect to get very wet! You'll run on to the fast vehicle driving circuit where it is rocky underfoot. This brings you to some more large areas of water and the finish area.

As you can imagine we are all at the peak of our physical fitness and will be aiming to break the course record, but should this not happen, we would like to raise a few pounds for Hols4H.
You should all know the payment details by now. But just in case it has slipped your mind briefly here it is again:

Paypal - Holidays4heroes

Sort Code: 40-12-09
Acct No: 41416081

Holidays4heroes : HSBC

IBAN: GB29MIDL40120941416081
Swift: MIDLGB2120G

I can’t promise any pics, besides you wouldn’t want any of me anyway, I will look like a muddy stick with trainers. What I can promise is that fun will be had by all, we will do our best and we will do it with a smile (and maybe a little grimace).
To make it a little more interesting, snow is forecast for this weekend, so it looks to be a very cold event in 2 weeks time.

Yes please! The Grim Challenge this weekend is going to be particularly... err... grim so please spare a quid/thought/snigger for those of us crashing round the 8 mile course. Whilst we might not get muddy (pity, I was looking forward to that bit) extremities are likely to suffer along with egos. Skittering across the frozen water obstacles is going to be interesting too..... anyway one thing that won't be slipping is the smile on our faces because of what Hols4Heroes represents.

So please dig deep, you didn't really want that extra pint/fag/ho. Photos can be issued to those who want darts practice/proof that their donation was hard earned.

Thank you. :)

Just been informed that despite the Grim website saying all week that it's still on they have today announced that they've now reluctantly POSTPONED the event. I'm pretty pissed off with that as I have be winding myself up for it (and getting to it!) fielding many "you are a lunatic" comments along the way. Rest assured that Hols4Heroes will still be represented when it does run, or rather we run.

BOOOOOO! Crashing round a watery 8 mile x-country course in this snow would have been ace!

The Grim Challenge has been rescheduled for 15/16 January 2011. Put the date in your diary as one for sniggering at us loons crashing round a freezing, wet and muddy course whilst you're in the pub/armchair/hot bath (all three?). PLEASE chuck a few quid into the Holidays4Heroes pot for that instant warm fuzzy feeling (that we won't have until we're thawed!) :)

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This weekend it is all go. By this time Sunday I would have been cold wet and muddy, but feeling good. I will also have had some food at AM afterwards too.

has anyone else managed to get a place for Sunday, or am I the only Arrser doing it?

Despite a stinking cold tomorrow morning will still see me charging about in mud and water (plenty of I should think after this weeks weather!) so I and Hols4Heroes would appreciate a quid or two bunged in the pot for my efforts in developing pneumonia, please. THANK YOU :)

Despite a stinking cold tomorrow morning will still see me charging about in mud and water (plenty of I should think after this weeks weather!) so I and Hols4Heroes would appreciate a quid or two bunged in the pot for my efforts in developing pneumonia, please. THANK YOU :)
You go girl! Some euros coming your way this evening (I'm off the beer due to training ........) :winkrazz:

Ooh marvellous FMP! Thank you so much, your beer tokens certainly won't go to waste. :hug:

The beer neither come to think of it, I'll drink your quota for you tomorrow as favour returned!

Thank you Jake.

Well, what a bloody brilliant run I had. My worries about slipping and pulling something ahead of the marathon in April proved unfounded as the tracks were coarse sand, albeit very wet and deep in places, and stone/mud forest tracks. Even the very steep up and down bits held well in the cheap-ish trail trainers I bought for the event.

Despite temperatures being just about in double figures the gale blowing through all day was bitter. Everyone was frozen hanging around the start and once off I struggled to find my pace with 2,500 runners all vying for space and distance on a single width track. The water features were frequent and deep - up to my waist at times (but don't forget I'm a shortarrse). And damned cold. They also contained the inevitable hidden holes and vehicle tracks in their muddy depths but that just added to the adventure. The camaraderie was superb with runners instinctively grabbing those falling in deep water. I found a reasonable pace eventually and ran the entire route except for the enforced stops and slow downs at some of the cattle grids (about 5 of them) and the very deep water/mud features under cam-nets which took time. The organisers taunted us all at the start with the fact that the course had been measured at just shy of 9 miles instead of the advertised 8 so when I came in at 1:28 I was pretty happy with that.

All in all it was well organised and the course an interesting and pleasant one to run. Do it again? In a heartbeat. :)

Thank you all for the donations to Hols4Heroes and the support and very best of luck to you tomorrow TATP.

That's a bit spooky - I was just about to press 'submit' on a post wondering if that ridiculously deep quick-sand under the camo net had taken you down when a thread reply notification came in!

WELL DONE! I'm definitely in too if they run it again in December (or January for that matter).