GRIM Challenge – 4/5 Dec - Holidays4Heroes - Aldershot

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by terroratthepicnic, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

The weekend of 4th and 5th December will see a joyous event taking place in Aldershot. No the Para’s aren’t returning, it is that festival of fun, GRIM CHALLENGE :: Original :: Home that also happens to be the highlight of the Aldershot calendar.

This year Holidays4Heroes has managed to have runners arriving for both days during the weekend.

For the Saturday event we have Dolly and Flowers running and for the Sunday I am running.
    This is what the organiser have said about the course:
    This land is used to test Army vehicles so expect it to be interesting! You will reach a long hill shortly after the start before descending again eventually reaching a water filled ravine. You will run on over puddle-strewn paths before having to crawl under camouflage netting. You'll eventually reach some man-made mounds before arriving at and running through some rather large puddles. Expect to get very wet! You'll run on to the fast vehicle driving circuit where it is rocky underfoot. This brings you to some more large areas of water and the finish area.

As you can imagine we are all at the peak of our physical fitness and will be aiming to break the course record, but should this not happen, we would like to raise a few pounds for Hols4H.
    You should all know the payment details by now. But just in case it has slipped your mind briefly here it is again:

Paypal - Holidays4heroes

Sort Code: 40-12-09
    Acct No: 41416081

Holidays4heroes : HSBC

IBAN: GB29MIDL40120941416081
    Swift: MIDLGB2120G

I can’t promise any pics, besides you wouldn’t want any of me anyway, I will look like a muddy stick with trainers. What I can promise is that fun will be had by all, we will do our best and we will do it with a smile (and maybe a little grimace).
    To make it a little more interesting, snow is forecast for this weekend, so it looks to be a very cold event in 2 weeks time.
  2. Yes please! The Grim Challenge this weekend is going to be particularly... err... grim so please spare a quid/thought/snigger for those of us crashing round the 8 mile course. Whilst we might not get muddy (pity, I was looking forward to that bit) extremities are likely to suffer along with egos. Skittering across the frozen water obstacles is going to be interesting too..... anyway one thing that won't be slipping is the smile on our faces because of what Hols4Heroes represents.

So please dig deep, you didn't really want that extra pint/fag/ho. Photos can be issued to those who want darts practice/proof that their donation was hard earned.

Thank you. :)
  3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Very best wishes to those taking part, and especially those doing this MAD thing for Hols4H ;-)
  4. Just been informed that despite the Grim website saying all week that it's still on they have today announced that they've now reluctantly POSTPONED the event. I'm pretty pissed off with that as I have be winding myself up for it (and getting to it!) fielding many "you are a lunatic" comments along the way. Rest assured that Hols4Heroes will still be represented when it does run, or rather we run.

BOOOOOO! Crashing round a watery 8 mile x-country course in this snow would have been ace!
  5. terroratthepicnic

1. ARRSE Runners

Nooooooooo, I was so looking forward to this.
  6. The Grim Challenge has been rescheduled for 15/16 January 2011. Put the date in your diary as one for sniggering at us loons crashing round a freezing, wet and muddy course whilst you're in the pub/armchair/hot bath (all three?). PLEASE chuck a few quid into the Holidays4Heroes pot for that instant warm fuzzy feeling (that we won't have until we're thawed!) :)
  7. Is it too late to enter this?
  8. terroratthepicnic

1. ARRSE Runners

Have a look on their website. Due to people having to pull out they may let allow a late entrance thing. Either way, I will be there on Sunday 16 Jan, cold, shivering, wet but without a doubt smiling.
  9. terroratthepicnic

1. ARRSE Runners

This weekend it is all go. By this time Sunday I would have been cold wet and muddy, but feeling good. I will also have had some food at AM afterwards too.

has anyone else managed to get a place for Sunday, or am I the only Arrser doing it?
  10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The Bears claim they're a bit busy next weekend, getting re-dressed and generally hibernating. Sorry.
  11. Despite a stinking cold tomorrow morning will still see me charging about in mud and water (plenty of I should think after this weeks weather!) so I and Hols4Heroes would appreciate a quid or two bunged in the pot for my efforts in developing pneumonia, please. THANK YOU :)
  12. You go girl! Some euros coming your way this evening (I'm off the beer due to training ........) :winkrazz:
  13. Ooh marvellous FMP! Thank you so much, your beer tokens certainly won't go to waste. :hug:

The beer neither come to think of it, I'll drink your quota for you tomorrow as favour returned!
  14. terroratthepicnic

1. ARRSE Runners

Well done for today Dolly, what was the course like, did you have fun and what time did you do?
  15. Good effort .Dolly