Grim Afghanistan Report To Be Kept Secret by US

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Sep 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Grim' Afghanistan Report To Be Kept Secret by US
    "No Plans to Declassify" New National Intelligence Estimate for White House
    By BRIAN ROSS
    September 23, 2008

US intelligence analysts are putting the final touches on a secret National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) on Afghanistan that reportedly describes the situation as "grim", but there are "no plans to declassify" any of it before the election, according to one US official familiar with the process.

Officials say a draft of the classified NIE, representing the key judgments of the US intelligence community's 17 agencies and departments, is being circulated in Washington and a final "coordination meeting" of the agencies involved, under the direction of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, is scheduled in the next few weeks.

According to people who have been briefed, the NIE will paint a "grim" picture of the situation in Afghanistan, seven years after the US invaded in an effort to dismantle the al Qaeda network and its Taliban protectors.
    A spokesperson for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Vanee Vines, said "it is not the ODNI's policy to publicly comment on national intelligence products that may or may not be in production."

The finished secret NIE would be sent to the White House and other policy makers.
    More on the link
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=5867448&page=1

2. Well Europe and NATO don't want to play, apart from the usual suspects (copyright Casablanca ) UK and France.
    An Obama administration will not be as keen on Afghanistan as Bush's gang, so I suppose we will see the Invader driven out as No One wants to play.
    john
    Poor Tom.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The situation whereby we would seriously consider bailing out was always on the cards from the moment we decided to do Afghan and Iraq together.

Without Iraq, we'd have proper flooded the place and made a lot more progress.

4. Truth brother! Both deployments were always at least Division-sized tasks, and we've struggled to maintain Brigades...

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

You know, in all my 2002 / 2003 posts I was insisting Iraq was going to be OK because I assumed that we had completed Afghanistan and that everything was hunky dory. Whats that rule about assumptions again?

6. When you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME! :twisted:

Don't worry about it, though; the people who are(God help us!)in charge of the Free World made the same mistake... :roll: :evil:

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

It was retorical but thanks.

Re your second point, if I ever set my standards by the 'most popular bloke in the country on election day' then I would be failing myself..

8. Fair one. :) The more I see of politicians, the more I agree with Garth Ennis(Preacher):

"Democracy is for Ancient Greeks." :twisted:

9. 'Democracy is the worst form of government possible, except for all those other systems that have been tried from time to time'
    Winston Churchill

10. While we're all waiting for the 17 to club together for their 'Grim' NIE (Classified) you are invited to study this for any interim assessments you'd like to make.

http://www.nato.int/isaf/docu/epub/pdf/progress_afghanistan.pdf

An Obama administration is looking to draw down Iraq for an even greater focus in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

'Grim' assessment, as it is coined, serve as a major policy point which will in all likelihood be delivered to congress as among the first actions after election.

So as we don't hear any Fat Birds screetching just yet, we'd advise you to cool your boots.

11. Having seen a few of these terrorist wars/freedom struggles, we have again come to the situation where the Military Bosses say to the government that they "see no military solution", That was what started the end in NI (if it was an end and not just a lull?), and in Aden and Cyprus. I don't know why the politico plotters cannot consult the Generals as to likelyhood and cost of a military solution before they cripple a generation with some overseas adventure.

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I think the trouble is that we are too nice about it. Too civilised. I'm not condoning this, but if we progromised, terrorised and genocided a iddy-biddy-widdle bit, we may be able to subdue the bad guys once in a while. Event the Russians didn't quite get the hang of it.

Now, the Romans on the other hand . . .

13. I chuckled a little bit when I saw this thread, I believe British troops during the Raj used to call the NW Frontier/Afghanistan "The Grim" in soldier slang !

14. I think we forget that the nation state as we understand it does not exist in some parts of the world. PAK, AFG have never been viable nation states. Then we introduce policies that ssume that they are - and watch them fail. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The Pushtun and everyone else in the interior have never acknowledged their membership of either AFG or PAK - so assuming they will support the "Afghan" or "Pakistani" Army is utter foolishness. We look at the Major of Kabul, kept in place by foreign troops and the Northern tribes and fool ourselves that he rules a country. We look at the coastal part of PAK which has many features of a nation state and fool ourselves that their writ extends up to some imaginary line on a map. FFS, they call half the country "Tribal Autonomous Zones" - what part of "Autonomous" don't we get ?

So we have a couple of options. First, a generational task to persuade using info ops, soft power and so on the locals to join us in the 21st Century. That means hundreds of thousands of troops, billions (if not trillions) of dollars and about 50 years.

Or we create a nation state in the way every single one to date has been created - genocide and/or ethnic cleansing. (In Europe we call this process "history", in the US they look away embarassedly when anyone mentions the Native Americans and we all pick on Turkey because they did it late enough that cameras were invented.)

But neither option will be taken. So get out now, we're not doing anything useful.