Grim 8

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Brooksy, Nov 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks,

Just querying as to whether any of you are taking part in the GRIM 8 mile race in Aldershot on either the 3rd or 4th December.

I'm taking part on the Sunday, really looking forward to it!

2. I am entered as well. Have you got your race pack yet? I would expect it reasonably soon...

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hee - a amate is doing it on the Saturday and .dolly from here on the Sunday......maybe I should do the decent thing and go and support !

For those who are about to learn to breathe their hoops......

http://original.grimchallenge.co.uk/grim_map_2011.pdf

and this from a civvy racer on last year's event...

4. So, perfect running conditions as well as being met with a brew and food at the end. Sounds great! I am looking forward to it.

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Plainly a nut-job....what was your time for Gosport and what is yr target time for this insanity ?

6. I ran 77mins this year. So knocked 3 mins of my PB. Not sure how much the terrain and obstacles will slow the time but a friend has run it before and based on that I would like under 55 for the Grim.

7. You'll hammer that time mate....I clocked 54 mins the year I did, not sure if it's the same course now though.

8. They have changed the course this year, got a mail about it. Doesn't sound like major changes though.

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Sneak, with a Half marathon PB of 1:17, I doubt a few hills are gonnae give you much trouble ! That is pretty quick.

from the VLM thread - 'cos my typing finger is getting sore...

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well,I stood and watched a coupla thousand people dressed inappropriately hare around an Army driving track today, under mercifully rain free skies.....Sneak, I'm guessing it wasn't you coming out of the Big Puddle with an inflatable shark under your arm?

Or were you the one in the mankini ?

Dolly, good effort ya mad woman....I reckon you were about 1:25?

Let's hear about your day peeps.....

11. Sneak's doing it tomorrow I think....I was going to pop over and watch today but I was hanging out of my arse after last nights boozathon....I am weak!

12. So, right now Brooksy, Sneak and TATP will be crashing around the course we trashed yesterday, good luck with that!

Reasonable rain in the week and a little more in the early hours of yesterday made for a very soggy course that I enjoyed more than last year. The mid section had been slightly altered to avoid the long stretch of dry forest paths and instead included more of the vehicle obstacles like railway lines, concrete plinths and log piles.... oh and 600m of rather vicious moguls! Lots of deep water with hidden ruts causing lots of impromptu swimming, lots of energy sapping deep mud and many more hills than I remember made the run a really good one.

The camo netting over the mud pits covered the remaining parts of me that weren't already muddy, my hair, face, ears and even teeth were covered in the stuff, even my plan of going through next to the tallest person around me see didn't help much. Still, some daft bints pay a fortune for mud packs like that!

Well organised, a great atmosphere, some superb costumes and the sunshine made it another great event... Goaty's booming cheer for me at two points was very welcome, along with the hot chocolate, hug and a cuddle with his lovely dog at the end! I might eventually forgive JD for letting let me down with the promise of Percy Pigs on the finish line only for him to tell me that he'd only just got up and had to retrieve the Christmas decorations from the loft. Excuses, excuses.

A good day, one that I shall repeat. Oh, and I was chuffed with my time of 1:23:26 which is a 5 minute improvement on the last one. Happy days.

13. Busted! Your lame cry-off message didn't mention booze, something about working hard!

14. It did!! We went out straight from work and caned it then H made me get the decs down even though I was suffering!

15. Those pigs are still here don't forget!

Anyhow....I want all those Grim people to hurry up and bugger off so I can have my training area back!