Grim 8

Hi folks,

Just querying as to whether any of you are taking part in the GRIM 8 mile race in Aldershot on either the 3rd or 4th December.

I'm taking part on the Sunday, really looking forward to it!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hee - a amate is doing it on the Saturday and .dolly from here on the Sunday......maybe I should do the decent thing and go and support !

For those who are about to learn to breathe their hoops......

http://original.grimchallenge.co.uk/grim_map_2011.pdf

and this from a civvy racer on last year's event...

After shivering for a bit it was time to start. Not knowing what to expect we lined up nervously....and then....we were off….

Conditions were as expected. GRIM. the race over 14.2kms (8.75 miles) was completely off road. The first mile wasn't too bad, a few easily avoided puddles. This wasn't what we’d been expecting. Soon we passed Tricia and her friend Nigel, Tricia running this for her second time. After asking ‘how far to the first proper puddle’? Tricia assured her fellow Spartans it was ‘not too much further’. And it wasn't. Suddenly we were faced with what can only be described as a small lake with a most informative sign confirming this was indeed much 'more than a puddle'. Still though, many runners managed to find a dry route around the edge, Including the Pezmeister with rival Mr Jay still hot her heels at this stage (but not for much longer!)....but it wasn't long though before we were faced with no alternative but to take the plunge and jump into knee deep freezing muddy water. After that puddle after muddy puddle faced us. Many puddles reaching as high as Andy Jay’s knees (being the same ones which reached Loraine’s waist!!) Some even had names, such as The Crater...Some runners tentatively walked through the ‘lakes’ some swam, some ran soaking everyone they passed, and some (including Tracy) fell and ended sitting waist deep in water! Around the half way mark the mud became thicker as runners were confronted with camouflage netting to pass under, while wading through thick mud that looked somewhere between a thick gooey chocolate cake mix and chicken korma.... and then there was 'The Big Dipper' a very muddy down hill, followed by a steep up-hill section.

It was a huge relief to see the 7 mile marker, only another mile to splash through, but no, the Grim 8 (which should be called the Grim 9 in all fairness) went on, and on, and on….the worst feeling was turning the last corner, seeing the finish, but then realising you had to run around a large field and through a final freezing ‘lake’ before crossing that line….a few choice words were uttered by many at this point!!!

But we all did it, and after cleaning up with baby wipes in a cold field, putting on dry clothes, adding to the collection of trainers in the nearby bin and sipping a nice hot cup of coffee with well earnt chocolate chip cookies we were in the car and being driving back to civilization by our top supporter Charlie. Laura still sporting her new ‘orange’ mud encrusted hair-do!

What a day!

So, perfect running conditions as well as being met with a brew and food at the end. Sounds great! I am looking forward to it.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Plainly a nut-job....what was your time for Gosport and what is yr target time for this insanity ?

I ran 77mins this year. So knocked 3 mins of my PB. Not sure how much the terrain and obstacles will slow the time but a friend has run it before and based on that I would like under 55 for the Grim.

I ran 77mins this year. So knocked 3 mins of my PB. Not sure how much the terrain and obstacles will slow the time but a friend has run it before and based on that I would like under 55 for the Grim.
You'll hammer that time mate....I clocked 54 mins the year I did, not sure if it's the same course now though.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sneak, with a Half marathon PB of 1:17, I doubt a few hills are gonnae give you much trouble ! That is pretty quick.

from the VLM thread - 'cos my typing finger is getting sore...

best of luck to all those crazies running The Grim this weekend...I may be on the sidelines with the Unit Cybershot trying to capture the agony as the ' Slim Reapers ' flounder through the watersplash....I would say 'Break a leg'....but on reflection....

GO PLACIDLY AMIDST THE NOISE & HASTE !

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well,I stood and watched a coupla thousand people dressed inappropriately hare around an Army driving track today, under mercifully rain free skies.....Sneak, I'm guessing it wasn't you coming out of the Big Puddle with an inflatable shark under your arm?

Or were you the one in the mankini ?

Dolly, good effort ya mad woman....I reckon you were about 1:25?

Let's hear about your day peeps.....

Sneak's doing it tomorrow I think....I was going to pop over and watch today but I was hanging out of my arse after last nights boozathon....I am weak!

So, right now Brooksy, Sneak and TATP will be crashing around the course we trashed yesterday, good luck with that!

Reasonable rain in the week and a little more in the early hours of yesterday made for a very soggy course that I enjoyed more than last year. The mid section had been slightly altered to avoid the long stretch of dry forest paths and instead included more of the vehicle obstacles like railway lines, concrete plinths and log piles.... oh and 600m of rather vicious moguls! Lots of deep water with hidden ruts causing lots of impromptu swimming, lots of energy sapping deep mud and many more hills than I remember made the run a really good one.

The camo netting over the mud pits covered the remaining parts of me that weren't already muddy, my hair, face, ears and even teeth were covered in the stuff, even my plan of going through next to the tallest person around me see didn't help much. Still, some daft bints pay a fortune for mud packs like that!

Well organised, a great atmosphere, some superb costumes and the sunshine made it another great event... Goaty's booming cheer for me at two points was very welcome, along with the hot chocolate, hug and a cuddle with his lovely dog at the end! I might eventually forgive JD for letting let me down with the promise of Percy Pigs on the finish line only for him to tell me that he'd only just got up and had to retrieve the Christmas decorations from the loft. Excuses, excuses.

A good day, one that I shall repeat. Oh, and I was chuffed with my time of 1:23:26 which is a 5 minute improvement on the last one. Happy days.

! I might eventually forgive JD for letting let me down with the promise of Percy Pigs on the finish line only for him to tell me that he'd only just got up and had to retrieve the Christmas decorations from the loft. Excuses, excuses.

A good day, one that I shall repeat. Oh, and I was chuffed with my time of 1:23:26 which is a 5 minute improvement on the last one. Happy days.
Those pigs are still here don't forget!

Anyhow....I want all those Grim people to hurry up and bugger off so I can have my training area back!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Oh, and I was chuffed with my time of 1:23:26 which is a 5 minute improvement on the last one. Happy days.
Well done .dolls.....you were going like the proverbial 08:40 to Kings X just after the Big Puddle :)

Here y'go

Young Mr Sneak had a top 15 finish on this today.
Its a good fun event, certainy plenty of mud and enough water to go around. Good course as well.

The time would have put me in the top 3 yesterday! Top 4 were under the course record today apparently.

Sounds like everyone else had a good day out. Good photo too!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Brooksy, how did you get on in the end ?

Well done .dolls.....you were going like the proverbial 08:40 to Kings X just after the Big Puddle :)
Thanks... as tempted as I was to stop and play in the mud, once I'm in terminator race mode I physically can't until I'm across the finish.

'Puddle'? I was expecting to come across the Titanic at the bottom of some of those on Saturday! (or it might be just that I'm short...?)

Sneak.... glad you enjoyed it, are you tempted with the Night Terror event there in February? I'd love to, really, but in reality for me that's a wrecked ankle waiting to happen. Blimey, absolutely cracking time by the sound of it, well done!