Grey's Scouts Memorial Gates

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by heythrop, Dec 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if there are any Rhodies from 'Skies' , or ex- Grey's Scoutshere who might be able to tell me what happened to the memorial gates erected by the Grey's Scouts for two of their number who were killed during the Matabele Rebellion of 1896/97.
    The gates were at the main entrance to the old Memorial Hospital in Fort Street, Bulawayo (Now Herbert Chipeto Street) and I have seen a photo of them taken around 1910.
    Two metal plates in the shape of Matabele shields, dedicated to Frank William Baxter, V.C., and Rowland J.Venables Lovett, both killed at Ungusa April 1896, where Trooper Baxter won his V.C.
    The old Memorial Hospital became the Income Tax Building, and is now the Passport Office. The railings have long since disappeared, but does anybody know please, were those memorial plates ever preserved, andif so where.
    Sadly, it is not easy to get information from Zim these days, and it is quite amazing what people on this forum know.

Regards.

2. Not that it makes much difference, but a correction to the above, Trroper Baxter was killed at Umgusa, whilst Venables Lovett was wounded, and died in the Memorial Hospital a few days later.

3. I have just asked my son to post the question on his sites. One of his sites has hundreds of members from Rhodesia.

4. Thanks Ed, that is very kind of you, and it would be great if we got a feed back from it.
    Regards.

Keep the Flame Lily Burning

5. Grey's Scouts Memorial Gates

I wonder if there are any Rhodies from 'Skies' , or ex- Grey's Scoutshere who might be able to tell me what happened to the memorial gates erected by the Grey's Scouts for two of their number who were killed during the Matabele Rebellion of 1896/97.
    The gates were at the main entrance to the old Memorial Hospital in Fort Street, Bulawayo (Now Herbert Chipeto Street) and I have seen a photo of them taken around 1910.
    Two metal plates in the shape of Matabele shields, dedicated to Frank William Baxter, V.C., and Rowland J.Venables Lovett, both killed at Ungusa April 1896, where Trooper Baxter won his V.C.
    The old Memorial Hospital became the Income Tax Building, and is now the Passport Office. The railings have long since disappeared, but does anybody know please, were those memorial plates ever preserved, andif so where.
    Sadly, it is not easy to get information from Zim these days, and it is quite amazing what people on this forum know.
    Reply back to rhodesia@shaw.ca

6. Greys Scouts Regiment

Hi there is a very good Greys Scouts site they may be of help....."Umgusa" was the name of the Grey Scouts camp at Inkomo just outside Salisbury

7. Dankie.Hou die Flame Lily Burning

8. Thanks Van, I have had a look at the site you mention but drew a blank there, but I will go back to it. I did not know 'Umgusa' was the name of a Grey's Scouts camp near Salisbury, as the Umgusa I referred to is about twelve miles north of Bulawayo, where Lobengula wantedd his warriors to ambush the combined Salisbury and Victoria Columns as they lumbered their way across a drift on the Umgusa River, but instead they were drawn into battle at Bembesi on 1 November 1893, with satisfactory results for Major Forbes and the Maxim guns. Also the scene of skirmishes in 1896 during the Rebellion, including that at which Trooper Baxter, V.C. was killed.

Referring again to the Battle of Bembesi; a very good example, I think, of how John Edmond's lyrics are pretty accurate history, and I still think he should had got a top honour for the way he kept up morale with his 'Trropie Songs'

9. Too right on both counts.
    His shows were well attended in the bush, as were those of the 'exotic' dancer, python & beer bottles.
    Heroes all!

10. Rhodie BKK. You sure have a way with words mate. You brought back the old atmosphere so well I found myself turning the tune round in my mind...."to the snakes and spiders sheer delight"......From 'The Entertainers Sharp End Blues' if I temember right.

Be great if we could turn the clock back.

Cheers