Greta Thunberg......

Has anyone had any experience of Hydrogen Boilers?

Apparently this can use the same infrastructure as the gas we currently use, and you just need to change your boiler so it can use hydrogen. Unless everyone in the same area changes at the same time, I am not sure how they could use the existing pipes.

NSP

LE

Apparently this can use the same infrastructure as the gas we currently use, and you just need to change your boiler so it can use hydrogen. Unless everyone in the same area changes at the same time, I am not sure how they could use the existing pipes.
They could repeat when they switched from coal gas to natural gas and do a massive publicly-funded programme of replacing entire areas appliances as they switched their supply over.

HMG appears to at least be looking into it...

There is an excellent video on this by Worcester Bosch, very interesting and informative, answers your question and more:

They could repeat when they switched from coal gas to natural gas and do a massive publicly-funded programme of replacing entire areas appliances as they switched their supply over.
Then engineers would be out of a job for 10 years + as everyone would have brand new boilers ;-) The suggested method is that when replacing your gas boiler you get one that is hydrogen capable. When the time comes that an area is going to switch to hydrogen the boiler is made capable, cost of the 3 parts is around £100 and a short conversion time.

Londo

LE
Then engineers would be out of a job for 10 years + as everyone would have brand new boilers ;-) The suggested method is that when replacing your gas boiler you get one that is hydrogen capable. When the time comes that an area is going to switch to hydrogen the boiler is made capable, cost of the 3 parts is around £100 and a short conversion time.
Like to see them do that round my way .
No gas supply within five miles . Everyone has oil fired boilers apart from a very few with calor gas .

Like to see them do that round my way .
No gas supply within five miles . Everyone has oil fired boilers apart from a very few with calor gas .
You're the ones killing people and the planet, how dare you!!!

Hydrogen, eh! That'll be fun. The molar volume of hydrogen, as with all gases, is 22.4L, but it is a very light gas with a low calorific value - that volume only encompasses 2gms of gas as opposed to 16gms of methane or 44gms of propane. So, to generate enough heat the hydrogen will need to be pressured to some degree. We've had a few gas explosions in private houses reach the news lately, I want to be a long way away from the first hydrogen one. And there's no carbon dioxide to worry about but lots of water - for every 2gms burnt 18gms of water, we'll all be living in an oxygen-depleted fog.

How's Greta's chemistry?

Robsa68

Clanker
There is an excellent video on this by Worcester Bosch, very interesting and informative, answers your question and more:
I worked for Worcester Bosch for 25yrs. If you saw the shite they built ( we was on piecework so didn't give a flying fudge about quality!) you wouldn't entertain having anything built by them in your home .

Meanwhile in Germany they're trying to encourage people to use more gas! So much for EU cohesion. Its just a bunch muppets scoring political points so that they can remain in power until the weekend and then hope the public have forgotten about it when Monday comes round.
Who would have thought that?

I worked for Worcester Bosch for 25yrs. If you saw the shite they built ( we was on piecework so didn't give a flying fudge about quality!) you wouldn't entertain having anything built by them in your home .
And yet most plumbers/installers say that Worcester Bosch boilers are the Rolls Royce of boilers.

TamH70

MIA
Over- engineered, badly- made shite, wouldn't fit them, and preferred not to work on dead ones.......

The power of a constant advertising campaign.

So, what's a good make of boiler then?

Over- engineered, badly- made shite, wouldn't fit them, and preferred not to work on dead ones.......

The power of a constant advertising campaign.
Its a vast improvement over the Valliant and every engineer who comes in to service is pleased to see it, says they're easy to work on. I know nothing about boilers, just feeding back the comments.