Grendel an Fallow meet

clayp1g

War Hero
Hi all,

I got a long awaited call from a Gamekeeper friend this morning. He has been having a problem with a particular fox of late, and I have been offering my services (as you do).

So this is my afternoon, I arrived at the farm at 14:15 and was sent straight away to a high seat over looking a couple of fields. With the following instructions. I want that Fecking fox, failing that a neck shot pricket (young male fallow).

The weather has been very misty and drizzling here this past week and toady was no better. So I set off toward the seat as I make my way through the mist at about 300m I see one of the largest Bucks I have ever seen, we have a strain of fallow here which occasionally throws out a white one, which he was. He was however neither a fox or a pricket. So I had to let him make good his departure in his own good time.

After watching the local wildlife for a couple of hours, the world was starting to merge in to that grey you have, when the end of a misty day.

I was starting to collect my thoughts about leaving, when the pricket started up a slope toward me. With my heart racing, shallow breathing I turned in the seat and waited for him to come out from behind a hedge. As he did he started to feed head down blissfully unaware I was even there.

I sighted on the atlas joint (neck shot only for this keeper) pulled the trigger, and he fell to the spot.

The keeper was happy as was I, as I have been invited back tomorrow at dark O'clock to get that fecking fox.

Sorry about the picture quality but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0303small.jpg
    IMG_0303small.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
That shot has saved a lot of tree saplings.
I live in the New Forest, an area that is full of deer that are very beautiful, but out of control in number. The base of the tree foliage here looks like it has been cut off at the exact same height using a ruler, there are faaaaaazunds of 'em everywhere, and I've had a good few near misses in the van.

They have no predators (apart from the OP) cos we shot all the wolves!
The forestry commission shoot a quota each year, but I reckon it's probably not enough.
Get yourself down here claypig, with a packed lunch and big box of ammo and thin them out.
We love venison, by the way...........

Last edited:

clayp1g

War Hero
That shot has saved a lot of tree saplings.
I live in the New Forest, an area that is full of deer that are very beautiful, but out of control in number. The base of the tree foliage here looks like it has been cut off at the exact same height using a ruler, there are faaaaaazunds of 'em everywhere, and I've had a good few near misses in the van.

They have no predators (apart from the OP) cos we shot all the wolves!
The forestry commission shoot a quota each year, but I reckon it's probably not enough.
Get yourself down here claypig, with a packed lunch and big box of ammo and thin them out.
We love venison, by the way...........

If you can get me the correct permissions I would love to. I can hold 600rds for that rifle, do you think that will be enough :) You had better ask Uggs as well as he would only pout.

What harm was that doing? and why the need to kill it?

They are a lot easy to eat when they stop moving.

They can do a great deal of harm as well, but more importantly they have no predators in the UK so culling is the only method of population control available.

The alternative is to let the herd grow to an unsustainable size and starve over winter.
Shooting I would argue is kinder and in the long term better for the herd.

Edit beaten by stainmaster

If you can get me the correct permissions I would love to. I can hold 600rds for that rifle, do you think that will be enough :) You had better ask Uggs as well as he would only pout.

If you are a good shot that would make a small dent in the population I reckon. At various locations there are platforms 10 metres up in the tree canopy, to enable the cull marksman to shoot downward and reduce the safety distances.
My 8 year old daughter would hate me for suggesting that you come and pot Bambi!

I can't see anything wrong in culling....... it's a damn sight more humane than the noise, smells of terror and blood of the slaughterhouse.

You wouldn't even hear the bang.

Although, I wouldn't be amused to be culled, as I bimbled around Lidl.

"It's for the best, the miserable old **** had no quality of life anymore........ plus we could do with the inheritance........"

clayp1g

War Hero
I collected a couple of pieces of him yesterday (now he has been hung for his crimes against saplings too). Taste test to follow.

Latest Threads