Grenadier or Coldstream Guards?

Blandyy

Swinger
Look at the history of each regiment, the Grens were raised to protect the monarch (Charles II), this makes them well balanced individuals as they have massive chips on each shoulder.

Grens refer to Coldstreamers as turncoats because they fought for Cromwell.
Have looked into the history of both but that has only made it more of a hard choice lol, with the grenadiers being first regiment of foot guards despite the Coldstream Guards being an older regiment. Will just have to see which one attracts me more I suppose lol

Blandyy

Swinger
you used to find with the county regiments (back in the day) that each battalion had some semblance of a regional identity. Not sure if that’s still the case, but if it is, find a rifles battalion with lots of lads from the North East and you’ll be just fine :)

try and avoid southerners as they are all big girls blouses.

awaits incoming!!
Seems to be less true these days it’s more the regiment that has a regional identity now rather than the battalions I think. Only case I can think of where that applies is the Royal Anglian

No family connection with either, ideally want lots of tours and deployments
Well, in that case....
:mrgreen:

And, of course, when doing ceremonial, you will march ahead of the First Regiment of Foot.
:colors:

Blakey

Swinger
As a non army member here are my observations, I served in NI in the 1970's and the Coldstreams were the resident Battalion. They were a great bunch of mainly Geordie soldiers who were well led by some first class junior and senior Nco's ( I've never fully got my head around what a Lance Sergeant was).

The Scots Guards came on a 4 month emergency tour, some very hard men and some very posh officers and they took no shit from anyone.

Irish Guards, good bunch of lads mainly Scousers and seemed to enjoy a dram or two.

Good luck.

NemoIII

War Hero
Can definitely say I want no part in man love or sheep sex
I'd imagine marching up and down the square gets very boring very quick. I know lads from most guards regiments who constantly complain about the drill but they are proud of what they do.

Realistically I would say Rifles (I've got no loyalties to them being Cav and now a VM) 5 regular BNs each with different jobs spread around the UK. I know lads go from 5 Rifles (Armoured Inf) and deploy to Kenya with 1/2 Rifles so plenty of opportunities to get out and see the world and different places.

par avion

War Hero
Ok when I was at Shornecliffe the Grenadiers were usually the Ugly ones and the Coldstreams the Northerners. Mind you most of us were pig ugly and riddled with acne back then!
Got to agree with you there Ugly. All us good looking hunky lads were serving further down the coast with JLR RE at Old Park Barracks.

You could always spot us in the town - we would have a hot babe hanging off each arm.

Blandyy

Swinger
Got to agree with you there Ugly. All us good looking hunky lads were serving further down the coast with JLR RE at Old Park Barracks.

You could always spot us in the town - we would have a hot babe hanging off each arm.
What reg were you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

par avion

War Hero
As a non army member here are my observations, I served in NI in the 1970's and the Coldstreams were the resident Battalion. They were a great bunch of mainly Geordie soldiers who were well led by some first class junior and senior Nco's ( I've never fully got my head around what a Lance Sergeant was).

The Scots Guards came on a 4 month emergency tour, some very hard men and some very posh officers and they took no shit from anyone.

Irish Guards, good bunch of lads mainly Scousers and seemed to enjoy a dram or two.

Good luck.
I think all the officers speak posh. I was watching a programme about the Welsh Guards on the Taff channel with English sub titles. All the WOs, Sgts, and below were speaking in Welsh while the officers were speaking in English.

I am joining the guards. However am unsure of which regiment to join. Stuck between Grenadiers and Coldstream Guards. Any help would be appreciated!

I suppose its Where you want to based really, all 5 guards regiments got great history and tradition. I was looking at scots guards due to the location they are moving to and them being part of the new strike brigade with boxer vehicles. Looks an interesting few years for them. That said go with what you feels best for your own career :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bowers Infantry 213
M Infantry 60
FRjunkie Infantry 71

Latest Threads