Grenadier Guardsman as a foreign born

Juice

Clanker
Hello, I was born in Lithuania, I came to UK when I was 17, I'm now 28 and am at the last stages in applying for RMAS. Got my Main Board in November.
Recently I've been doing more and more research about the different Guard regiments, particularly Grenadier and Coldstream Guards. Joining and serving in their ranks seems to me like an amazing adventure. However, thinking of joining as an officer in such a British regiment as a foreign born seems to me like I'm not being completely honest with myself about how the men would perceive being led in such a historic unit by a person who's history and ancestry lies somewhere else.

I do have a slight accent, but if I go to a foreign country, like Germany, people do think I'm British.

I feel that joining as a regular guardsman though wouldn't be a problem, or would it?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Guards have famously provided a home for all manner of folk of various origins and their Officers' Messes are no different. Can't imagine it would be an issue at all, far more important you have a look a them and they have a look at you and see whether you can agree you'd be a good fit.

Soldiers don't give a toss where their officers come from or where they went to school or university or whatever. They'll follow folk with a strong moral compass, their welfare at heart, a good sense of how to achieve what they've been given to achieve and who know and understand their soldiers.

I don't know whether you've looked, though, at any age restrictions. Assuming you pass AOSB and get through the RMAS, you're going to be a subaltern in his 30s and that might be an issue in the combat arms.

. . . and Prince Franz Josef Wenzel of Liechtenstein served a term in the Grenadiers in the early 80s.

I remember him. He was a really good man. I was on guard at Windsor Castle and discussing when he wanted to do the rounds and he said: "Oh sometime after I get back from tea with my Auntie" I was just about to make squeaking noises when he said: "The Queen Mother".

ACAB

LE
We had the son of a Second World War German General as an officer in the Scots Guards. He was a good bloke as well.

Hello, I was born in Lithuania, I came to UK when I was 17, I'm now 28 and am at the last stages in applying for RMAS. Got my Main Board in November.
Recently I've been doing more and more research about the different Guard regiments, particularly Grenadier and Coldstream Guards. Joining and serving in their ranks seems to me like an amazing adventure. However, thinking of joining as an officer in such a British regiment as a foreign born seems to me like I'm not being completely honest with myself about how the men would perceive being led in such a historic unit by a person who's history and ancestry lies somewhere else.

I do have a slight accent, but if I go to a foreign country, like Germany, people do think I'm British.

I feel that joining as a regular guardsman though wouldn't be a problem, or would it?
I remember as a recruit in the seventies some old boy, a Field Marshall no less, (I can't remember his name) came to give us some inspiration - and told us about how he wandered up the road from the Refugee camp his family were living in on Cyprus to an Irish Guards barracks. He announced that he was there to join up and was promptly cuffed around the head by the sentry and sent on his way. But he persisted.

CC_TA

LE
Micks usually have a good spread of non-Brits floating through the ranks and the messes, you'd probably fit right in - Spent 2 1/2 years with them, good crowd, loads of fun, good mix of lads n lasses from all over the planet and never a dull moment.

Juice

Clanker
Micks usually have a good spread of non-Brits floating through the ranks and the messes, you'd probably fit right in - Spent 2 1/2 years with them, good crowd, loads of fun, good mix of lads n lasses from all over the planet and never a dull moment.
Micks?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Some of the nicknames, others are also available, given within the Division

Grenadiers - Gobblers
Coldstream - Coldcream
Scots - Jocks
Welsh - Taffs
Irish - Micks/Bog trotters
Household Cav- Donkey Wollopers
That's the polite list.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
And they take on all sorts of dodgy ragamuffins. John Patrick Kenneally joined the HAC, went AWOL, was locked up, escaped and deserted. He teamed up with a bunch of itinerant Irish labourers, eventually ending up in Glasgow. One of the Paddies went home to Ireland and Kenneally got hold of his i/d card and successfuly joined the Micks.

He won a VC in Tunisia in '43, so it turned out okay in the end. :smile:

CC_TA

LE
And they take on all sorts of dodgy ragamuffins. John Patrick Kenneally joined the HAC, went AWOL, was locked up, escaped and deserted. He teamed up with a bunch of itinerant Irish labourers, eventually ending up in Glasgow. One of the Paddies went home to Ireland and Kenneally got hold of his i/d card and successfuly joined the Micks.

Class

They're a rare breed for sure. Never a dull moment, spent more time on Ops and ranges than in camp. Absolute blast.
If you're after a post with fuckery, fun, graft and giggles then it's at the top of the list. Having a lot of ex Micks in some of the top Army jobs at the time I was there probably meant a few extra jobs were shunted our way - good times.

Officers are respected - or frequently not respected - according to their military efficiency, basic decency, and professional concern for the welfare of their men.

National origin and accents don't come into - except as a source of pisstaking and nicknames.

Juice

Clanker
Class

They're a rare breed for sure. Never a dull moment, spent more time on Ops and ranges than in camp. Absolute blast.
If you're after a post with fuckery, fun, graft and giggles then it's at the top of the list. Having a lot of ex Micks in some of the top Army jobs at the time I was there probably meant a few extra jobs were shunted our way - good times.
Sounds like my type of regiment then, cheers for the info guys!

Latest Threads