Grenadier guards query

Towelie

Swinger
Hi, im hoping to join the grenadiers and was just wondering on how they travel to london for their shifts. If in sfa do you travel from aldershot to london for the shift and stay there for the duration of that shift? Or are you fully based in london till you got the option to go to btn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great question.

Towelie

Swinger
Great question.
Cant find anything on the internet and really want to know some insight into what happens. I myself have my wife and son so was wondering what having a family is like and the options for doing your work

Towelie

Swinger
It is a bit of a sod doing two hours on and 4 hours off getting back and forth to Aldershot , but manageable
Sorry i didnt explain it well, i mean for the whole 6 hours on shift youd stay there but when done is housing or your accommodation block back in aldershot when not working?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
No need for that first bit if you answered my question with the second? Lol

I’m serious, unless you want to only learn how to stand still and polish boots and brass and have the ability to put up with bullshit I’d consider any other regiment that is not in the household division.
Try a corp and learn something useful, my biggest regret ever was joining the grenadiers forty odd years ago when there was two battalions of grenadiers, Coldstream and Scots guards who shared the ceremonial duties, now I should imagine you are duty battalion more often than not.
Seriously think about it.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry i didnt explain it well, i mean for the whole 6 hours on shift youd stay there but when done is housing or your accommodation block back in aldershot when not working?

Ffs, guard is for 24 hours In the summer 48 hours in the winter, you spend it in the guardroom where you are guarding. You stag On two on, four off. The four off is spent cleaning your kit, eating and grabbing a couple of hours kip.
its a great way of earning a living.

I’m serious, unless you want to only learn how to stand still and polish boots and brass and have the ability to put up with bullshit I’d consider any other regiment that is not in the household division.
Try a corp and learn something useful, my biggest regret ever was joining the grenadiers forty odd years ago when there was two battalions of grenadiers, Coldstream and Scots guards who shared the ceremonial duties, now I should imagine you are duty battalion more often than not.
If you want to be an infantryman, Rifles or Paras. If you want to go RAC, then Royal Tank Regiment. I think these are the areas in the army that will be protected most.
Caveat: Guards will always be protected, but as Gout Man says, will diminish to household duties.
Going for other corps? Can’t answer, more will know.
Whatever you go for, give it all, and good luck!

You get a TfL discount if you travel in uniform.

I wouldn't want to be in MQs doing Public Duties in the smoke. God knows how that works? Someone must know?

I wouldn't want to start from scratch with dependents (dog included). Certainly not in infantry, and certainly not in a guards regiment. Different story as a snec, but not as a tom. Sigs, REME, sappers or AGC?

They allow them to travel in uniform now?
I‘ve seen some of the Royal Anglian Regiment‘s troops travel on the tube, maybe when they was at Woolwich and doing a bit for the Queen.
Some time ago, and I was disappointed at the hat wearing and I think their boots had not been shined that day.
They also seemed like any other commuter, that is ignorant to their fellow travellers. I would have helped a lass with her case, and asked for her number. These kids: not bothered. The uniform a while back was a fanny magnet, and these lads did not take full advantage? Goodness me.
I‘d like to think a group of Jocks may be different, but who knows?

Ffs, guard is for 24 hours In the summer 48 hours in the winter, you spend it in the guardroom where you are guarding. You stag On two on, four off. The four off is spent cleaning your kit, eating and grabbing a couple of hours kip.
its a great way of earning a living.
At risk of showing my ignorance of modern day Guards Regiments and day to day ceremonial, doesn’t the incremental companies (those guardsmen freshly between ITC Catterick and 1st Bn XYZ Guards ) find the bodies for stagging on?

ACAB

LE
At risk of showing my ignorance of modern day Guards Regiments and day to day ceremonial, doesn’t the incremental companies (those guardsmen freshly between ITC Catterick and 1st Bn XYZ Guards ) find the bodies for stagging on?
Yes, they do.

Whilst the Battalions are posted all over the UK / World.

Mattb

LE
Given that this is the recruitment forum, does anyone actually want to be sensible and answer the original (not unreasonable) question - ie are Guardsmen billeted in London for public duties, or do they commute?

(I suspect that it's the former, but I wouldn't want to guess)

Apart from F Company, the SG haven't done PD's for quite a few years.

Latest Threads