Grenadier Guards - Nijmegen

U

UkSam1990

I have a question about when you pass out of training and get posted to Nijmegen Company for circa 6 months, are you aloud to leave the barracks at weekends to go home or how does it work?

Also from watching Guarding The Queen my understanding is you do 2 hour sentry posts a day. After that what else do you do for the rest of the day? Is there PT sessions or Gym etc.?

Many thanks.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
When on public duties, for example guard at Buck House, you do a 24 hour guard in the summer and a 48 hour guard in the winter.

During these hours you do 2 on 4 off, when your off you do your kit drink and eat and if poss grab a kip.

That's it.
As for you first question I don't know I was in years ago when we had two battalions, hopefully someone else a bit more up to date will be able to help.
But if your not on duty over the w/e you should be able to go home or were ever you want.

Bingobongo

War Hero
When on public duties, for example guard at Buck House, you do a 24 hour guard in the summer and a 48 hour guard in the winter.

During these hours you do 2 on 4 off, when your off you do your kit drink and eat and if poss grab a kip.

That's it.
As for you first question I don't know I was in years ago when we had two battalions, hopefully someone else a bit more up to date will be able to help.
But if your not on duty over the w/e you should be able to go home or were ever you want.
That sounds w*nk...

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
U

UkSam1990

That's it.
Thanks for the reply.

So thats 24 hours a day 7 days a week?

If it hasnt changed when someone goes to Nijmegen company for 6 months is that 2 on 4 off for the whole 6 months?

Thanks again :)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the reply.

So thats 24 hours a day 7 days a week?

If it hasnt changed when someone goes to Nijmegen company for 6 months is that 2 on 4 off for the whole 6 months?

Thanks again :)
Er, no, two hours on and four hours off during that particular 24 or 48 hour period, then you have The Changing of the Guard, where another bunch take over, and you lucky lot go back to barracks for a good piss up!
It's been a very long time since I did it and times have changed regarding the duty battalion who was responsible for guard duties within London District. Don't worry you will NOT be doing two on four off for six months, bloody hell even with all the cuts I don't think it will ever come to that!

U

UkSam1990

Er, no, two hours on and four hours off during that particular 24 or 48 hour period, then you have The Changing of the Guard, where another bunch take over, and you lucky lot go back to barracks for a good piss up!
It's been a very long time since I did it and times have changed regarding the duty battalion who was responsible for guard duties within London District. Don't worry you will NOT be doing two on four off for six months, bloody hell even with all the cuts I don't think it will ever come to that!
Ok, cool. Thanks for the reply. I cant wait not long to go now :)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Ok, cool. Thanks for the reply. I cant wait not long to go now :)
Good luck, it's bloody hard work public duties but you'll look back on it with a certain amount of pride.
Are you undergoing basic at the moment? When I was in it was twenty weeks at the Guards Depot, stuff of nightmares that was I can tell you.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
That must be excellent, standing still for 8 hrs a day ... that's what, day on day off?

so 15x8 = 120x6 =720 hrs of standing still in 6 months.

Sounds great.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That must be excellent, standing still for 8 hrs a day ... that's what, day on day off?

Sounds great.
I think that is why all these years later I have problems with gout and other such problems. Could I sue the bastards do you think?
There is a thread about someone getting lots of money just for been shouted at when working in the Met.
Still it gave you time to think about the meaning of life and other such things like;
I wish to hell I worked harder at school, and is this any way to earn a living?
Hey ho looking back it was an experience and on the whole as I have said one I'm proud to have done, thank gawd it counted towards my police service so on the whole well worth it.

U

UkSam1990

Good luck, it's bloody hard work public duties but you'll look back on it with a certain amount of pride.
Are you undergoing basic at the moment? When I was in it was twenty weeks at the Guards Depot, stuff of nightmares that was I can tell you.
Thanks man :)

Not yet i have a long way to go i was just curious. Im due to start basic on 21 Sept for Gren Guards.

I have been watching every single video on YouTube about them and I think I have visited every website there is 10x over. Ha.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Strangely Gray

Old-Salt
Here, here, although the stampy bit left me with shin splints, which still itch when it's cold nearly thirty years later, losing the feeling in your heels, rocking forward to get the blood circulating, wearing your watch the wrong way round to tell the time when you change arms.
Putting fags in the bearskin wicker so a box didn't show in your pocket on parade, jungle juice at Jimmys when you raced down to be the first sentries posted, and a round of applause from the tourists for going for a stroll.

Seeking Enlightenment by looking up my ARRSE

U

UkSam1990

Here, here, although the stampy bit left me with shin splints, which still itch when it's cold nearly thirty years later, losing the feeling in your heels, rocking forward to get the blood circulating, wearing your watch the wrong way round to tell the time when you change arms.
Putting fags in the bearskin wicker so a box didn't show in your pocket on parade, jungle juice at Jimmys when you raced down to be the first sentries posted, and a round of applause from the tourists for going for a stroll.

Sounds fun! :)

Also out of interest is it every other day you are on guard or does it vary? Also for example if you have 3 days where your not on guard and other regs are, what do you do?

Thanks again !!

Strangely Gray

Old-Salt
It's thirty years ago for me, at that time it could be every second day, or one day a month depending on who was duty battalion, barrack routine took over, parade after breakfast, a platoon run through Chelsea, maybe drill a few afternoons in barrack dress, sorting out stores, counting kit and cleaning it, washing vehicles, giving the lines a once over if it started to look grim, a few lessons on various things, and barrack guard now and again.

Bingobongo

War Hero

Also out of interest is it every other day you are on guard or does it vary? Also for example if you have 3 days where your not on guard and other regs are, what do you do?

Thanks again !!
Sounds fun? You sure?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Sounds fun? You sure?
I know - bad enough pacing about on a gate but at least you get to talk to people and gate geography permitting, maybe even have a sneaky fag at night (in Bunde, you could have a w@nk, but that's another story)

I really, really can't imagine how dull it is standing still with a bear sat on your head and your arms falling off for two hours four times a day with no-one to talk to.

Must be mad.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs

Thanks again !!
You should practice this standing bit. Go to the kitchen at 3am and stand there, perfectly still until five.

I bet you think it's shit and don't do it again at 9.

U

UkSam1990

You should practice this standing bit. Go to the kitchen at 3am and stand there, perfectly still until five.

I bet you think it's shit and don't do it again at 9.
Haha probably. Im looking forward to it but im sure after a few times ill be like "oh gosh"....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Sounds great.
Bit like a rechymech:relax:

Latest Threads