Grenadier Guards Information..

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Coopzer, Feb 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After getting back from the ACIO and receiving my 3 job briefs, Gren Guards being my first choice.

My Sgt mentioned that the Grenadier Guards are moving from Aldershot to London this year, can anyone shed anymore information on this for me such as where in London and why?

2. I thought this was information about the homeless 24 year old ex grenadier for a minute. :roll:

3. If you can't work out what a Guards regiment might be moving to London for, I suggest you try the fcukin' Dental Corps instead....

4. Wellington Barracks, we're going because it's our turn however we're not doing much public duties as we're not part of London District

5. I'm afraid you've been misinformed! Can't go into the exact ins and outs on these means, but rest assured you will be part of London District most of the time you're there and you'll definitely have a fair crack at public duties (as well as green type activity) while you're in London.

6. Well apart from the fact we are part of 11 bde until 2010

7. Please bear in mind before I say anything that I am only a potential Grenadier Guardsman and thus only have access to published information.

Having taken that into account, to support the statement quoted above, and also to point you to some information that I (being in a similar situation to you,) found interesting, I'll extract a paragraph from the regimental homepage:

[quote="http://www.army.mod.uk/grenadier/regiment/1st_battalion/current_deployment.htm]Our programme for the next two years will be published in more detail on our return but we now know that we will go to the Falklands in 2008, Afghanistan in 2009 and then Iraq in 2010. A busy period, but one that is varied and fulfils the aspirations of the young Guardsman that now serve our regiment so well.[/quote]

Apologies that it's not strictly pertinent to the move to London, hopefully you will find the information useful nonetheless.

Edit: It is possibly worth mentioning that I'm actually quite keen to serve in the ceremonial role, I am just sharing what information I have on the subject.

8. Move to London in the summer of 2008 , whilst each Company goes for a stint in the Falklands.

A bash at ceremonial from late autumn to Christmas, a Kenya exercise in early 2009 and then straight into Pre Deployment Training for another tour of Afghanistan in 2009.

Best of ops and ceremonial.........doesn't get any better than that !!

9. So the lads are still being screwed over, a tour here another there, and another straight after? Why did they get rid of the 2nd Bn but kept the woofers and the other dross?

Oh thats right, we didnt need em! :roll:

10. Gren is on the money: BUT : that doesn't help Coops make his mind up.

Anything else you need to know Coops ?

11. [quote="http://www.army.mod.uk/grenadier/regiment/1st_battalion/current_deployment.htm]Our programme for the next two years will be published in more detail on our return but we now know that we will go to the Falklands in 2008, Afghanistan in 2009 and then Iraq in 2010. A busy period, but one that is varied and fulfils the aspirations of the young Guardsman that now serve our regiment so well.[/quote]

Sorry to ressurect a dead topic but is this still true? will they be deployed to Iraq in 2010?

Only asking as im off to Catterick in a month and researching when my first op could be.