Grenadier 2007 Austria

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Tartan_Terrier, May 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone here participated in the 'Grenadier' infantry skills competition in Austria?

It looks like my unit may get the chance to go and I'd like to know if anyone can tell me anything which isn't on the invite, or their website.

It sounds pretty good though....

2. No-one heard of it?
  3. Afraid not old chap, sounds good though. Can't help but think running around in the mountains could be quite hard work
  4. My troop completed “Gebirgsjäger” (mountain infantry) in August 2005, it was brilliant mate, probably one of the best things i did in my short career. and got presented with the “Edelweiß-Badge” (which they wear on their equivalent of No.2 Dress) at the end by an Austrian Colonel. Loads and loads of rock climbingm, kleiterstagg and abseiling and finishing of with 4days of alpine tabbing with full bergan and belt kit and helmet on unfortunately, bashering up on a night time. Hard work but amazing, Austrians are easily the nicest foreign soldiers Ive come across very welcoming and big drinkers, finished it of with a bar games night and us as R.E thrashed them but thats a different story, in general the Austrian Army isn't a patch fitness wise to us, everyday we completed the legs 26km+ usually 3 or 4 hours ahead, but excellent hosts, If you wanna know anymore mate ask away.
  5. Nice one Spitlock!

It's not certain that we're going yet, having only heard about it last night, I don't know how many of the lads are interested/can get time off work.

Another thing is that the competition is only six weeks away and we're not exactly prepared. If we're going we're going to have to train as much as possible until July.

We want to give a decent showing, rather than showing ourselves up!