Greetings, and WIS explained

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by murdomac, May 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Been lurking on these forums/this site for a while now and I have to say I find all the info and discussions very interesting and informative.

I finally have a question that I have not found the answer to from reading and searching etc, so hoping someone could help me out (without shooting me down for my lack of knowledge). Basically, I am interested to know about more about the WIS role and what this involves in terms of (a) training and (b) on a tour. I had a quick chat with someone about careers in general and this was one which was mentioned but I didn't have time to get much info. I haven't been able to find any on the forum so was hoping you guys could shed some light!

Thanks in advance.

2. just found this (

so guessing that answers my question unless much has changed since 05. I'd still be interested to know what one would do on tour? Are you out on patrols/operations, or are you at HQ planning/evaluating and forming strategies?
  3. So exactly which newspaper do you work for then? :roll:

Don't expect too much info from anyone on this site about this subject.
  4. Why not? It's hardly a secret.

I love you int corps guys bigging things up.

Edited for being harsh.

5. No journalist here, sorry to disappoint you. I just wanted to know about what I was getting into before I send the application form back.

I should have asked more at my initial query discussion with the officer but he was short of time and I didn't want to press him. Don't want to phone back now and hassle him.

I didn't realise this subject was particularly confidential. I presumed discussions on this would be more open and forthcoming than say humint and interrogations etc but as a civvy i obviously amn't in the know.

Anyway, if folk don't wish to discuss this it is fine, I'll send the form in and see where it takes me. If anyone has any useful information that they'd like to share with me (that isn't cx) then please pm me, it'd be appreciated.

6. I'm not saying its a secret. Its just not the sort of thing that we will be comfortable discussing in the public forum.

Security isn't a dirty word remember!!!!
  7. Crevice.......etc etc.....
  8. Don't know about the security issue but I was WIS in Londonderry 88/89 and it was a fooking hoot! Unfortunately a tour of 7 Coy after that felt like a bit of a let down.

The link that Murdomac has identified fully describes the WIS role in NI (as much as is reasonable to tell a stranger anyway) but will happily tell tales of flying around the Wild North West, drunken liaisons and happy hours loosing off 7.62 short with drunk coppers, for a small fee! :lol:
  9. I was at 3 WIS in Armagh in 1990, it was the same there. Can anyone remember the legendary "Vodka Frenzies" with the RUC CID at Bessbrook? Those guys could drink and were the cause of many an extreme hangover!!
  10. Cool, well whatever it involves, it sounds like people have had a lot of fun doing it!

11. Should point out that I have conveniently forgotten the occasions when I was cold and pish-wet through. Or had been to five different incidents in 24 hours as part of a "day of disruption" - but it is the Army so you should expect nothing else!