Greens to unveil alternative crime policy

Try humming the circus tune to this while reading:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green/story/0,9061,1332299,00.html

Matthew Tempest, political correspondent
Thursday October 21, 2004

The Green party will today make crime a centrepiece of their last conference before a likely general election, in a break from their usual focus on climate change, genetically modified food and conflict.
Although the radical environmentalist party, meeting in Weston-super-Mare for the final conference of the autumn season, will still debate the topics they have traditionally made their own over their 30-year history.

But, with a general election widely expected for May 5 next year, the party is now pitching at a more mainstream audience - albeit with a far from mainstream message.

The Greens, who now have two members on the London assembly, two MEPs in Brussels, over 50 local councillors, and seven MSPs in Edinburgh, will be calling for more rehabilitation in prisons, and more police patrols on push-bikes.

Party spokesman Spencer Fitzgibbon said : "Other parties stir up the fear of crime for their own rightwing agendas. We are going to be tough on crime, not just tough on the offender.

"Prisons have become schools for offenders - we want to see proper rehabilitation, even if it's more expensive in the short term, because that is what actually reduces crime.

"And putting police officers on bikes has been shown to reduce crime, and bring the police closer to the community they serve - and give them access to estates and back alleys where so much crime occurs."

The four-day event at the Winter Gardens will also see the debut "leader's speech" by new principal speaker Keith Taylor.

Mr Taylor, who scored the Greens' highest vote of 9% in the Brighton Pavillion constituency at the last general election, took over as male principal speaker (the party has no official leader) after the death of Mike Woodin from cancer earlier this year.

Woodin, a lecturer at Balliol college, Oxford, Green councillor and father of two, gave an emotional farewell address to colleagues at the party's spring conference in Hove earlier this year, and died aged just 38 shortly afterwards.

The party will be holding a memorial for him, after Mr Taylor addresses activists on the theme of "revalue your vote".

He will say: "Iraq, trust and disillusionment are the key feelings about this government, and it's easy to feel apathetic with the whole setup, but I will call on people to revalue their vote, that it is precious and it is worth voting Green."

On Friday, new party member and human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell will call for a "second Chartist movement" to get a fair voting system for the House of Commons. He compares current first past the post system with the 19th century "rotten boroughs".

Mr Tatchell will say: "A second chartist movement is needed to remedy the corruption of the first past the post system whereby Labour wins a majority of 167 MPs at the last election despite only securing 46% of the votes and the backing of only 24% of eligible electors.

"I want to see an alternative modelled on the system for Scotland and London elections which preserve the constituency based MPs but ensure some degree of proportionality" he will say.

Other guests at the conference include Tony Juniper of Friends of the Earth and Dan Plesch of the Impeach Blair campaign.

Angered by recent speeches by both Tony Blair and Michael Howard on climate change, the party will also "throw down the gauntlet" to the mainstream parties to endorse policies that they say will actually avert "impending climate catastrophe".

There are also debates on mobile phone masts, and a call for the Welsh assembly to follow the Scottish parliament in supporting breastfeeding in public.

Aah, yes. The watermelon party. Green on the outside, Red on the inside...

We are going to be tough on crime, not just tough on the offender.
I would like someone to explain to me how a crime occurs without an offender being involved?

chimera

LE
At least with the Greens you know that you are going to get something totally off the wall.

Perhaps one of the LibDem posters on here (you know who you are..) would like to remind us of their policy on crime. Not sure it would be that different.....

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Johnny_Ludlow said:
We are going to be tough on crime, not just tough on the offender.
I would like someone to explain to me how a crime occurs without an offender being involved?
For example if the highest power in the land lies to send blokes into harms way, but then claims he did nothing wrong because he always tells the truth.

We have a crime, but no offender.
Allegedly.

Ah The Greens.
Pay the criminal compensation on arrest just in case of false arrest, police brutality and unsafe conviction. very sensible save a fortune on lawyer costs. Poor Cherry.
john :roll:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
So where do you guys stand on "breastfeeding in public?"
I'm for it.

Now where do I start feeding ?

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
No problem with it. Just like eating a Mars Bar in the street

Now buy a shirt

chimera said:
At least with the Greens you know that you are going to get something totally off the wall.
Or on a skateboard

Nandor Tanzos New Zealand Green MP for the constituancy of Lower Soapdodger on the Weed.

Apparently there is connexion between the US Green Party and the Canadian Green Party. There are Green parties in countries all over the world. Are they all connected/related?

Is this some kind of watermelon world domination plot? :lol:

RCSignals said:
Is this some kind of watermelon world domination plot? :lol:
Yep.... they want us all living on collective farms eating lentils, not washing, and smoking pot.
Love and peace man
Blackhand

E

error_unknown

Party spokesman Spencer Fitzgibbon said : "Other parties stir up the fear of crime for their own rightwing agendas. We are going to be tough on crime, not just tough on the offender.
Oddly enough this blerk is an ex TA Para Regt officer who wrote a very good book about Goose Green ('Not Mentioned in Despatches'). I suspect that he had one or two too many bad landings.

Cutaway said:
Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
I'm for it.

Now where do I start feeding ?
Seen it on a train. When they look like Jo Brand, it isn't that appetising. Nearly made me see my Ready Brek again 8O

RCSignals said:
Apparently there is connexion between the US Green Party and the Canadian Green Party. There are Green parties in countries all over the world. Are they all connected/related? :lol:
Yes. They all pay homage to the Jolly Green Giant. Or the Incredible Hulk.