• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Greenpeace X-Dir blames tsunami on global warming

A few days ago, I said to Mrs Stoatman, "Oh, it's only a matter of time before some moonbat comes out & says it's 'global warming' that caused the quake", and I was sternly rebutted and told to stop being so stoopid...

But I am vindicated:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110006079

A Great Natural Disaster
Prosperity is the best defense against a tsunami.

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 12:01 a.m. EST

The world's thoughts are with the victims of the tsunamis that swept across South Asia Sunday, killing at least 23,000 and leaving millions homeless. In the coming weeks and months, the priority must be to render the survivors every possible assistance. The response so far has been admirably swift.

One might think that a disaster of this scale would transcend normal national or political considerations. But in the world of environmental zealotry, even an event such as this is seen as an opportunity to press the agenda. Thus, the source of the South Asian tsunami is being located in global warming.

In an interview with the Independent newspaper in Britain, Stephen Tindale, executive director of Greenpeace UK, said: "No one can ignore the relentless increase in extreme weather events and so-called natural disasters, which in reality are no more natural than a plastic Christmas tree." Speaking to the same newspaper, Friends of the Earth Director Tony Juniper pressed the argument home: "Here again are yet more events in the real world that are consistent with climate change predictions." It is perhaps appropriate that the strongest, recent refutation to such feverish assertions may be found in Michael Crichton's new thriller--also about environmental extremists, a tsunami and the myths of global warming.

People prone to hysteria often become further unhinged in the face of a great disaster, and that may explain these remarkable comments on the tsunami disaster. Still, these comments by the movement's leadership may serve as a case study of how such imaginings work their way into public discussion of the environment. That is all the more reason to come to grips with the real causes of calamities such as this.
Geologists say that groups of giant earthquakes hit Sumatra every 230 years or so. The last quakes there were in 1797 and 1833--and surely not even Greenpeace would blame those on greenhouse gases--and so Sunday's latest quake was more or less on schedule.

It is preposterous to blame the inexorable forces of nature on the development of industry and infrastructures of modern society. The more sensible response to natural disasters is to improve forecasting, put in place efficient communications and evacuation procedures and, should the worst arrive, conduct relief efforts and rebuild what nature has destroyed. Those cautionary measures, as is now clear, cost money. The national income necessary to afford them is made possible only by economic growth of the sort too many of environmentalists retard with their policy extremism.

Rich countries suffer fewer fatalities from natural disasters because their prosperity has allowed them to create better protective measures. Consider the 41,000 death toll in last December's earthquake in Iran compared with the 63 who died when a slightly stronger earthquake hit San Francisco in 1989.

The principal victims of the tidal waves in Sri Lanka and elsewhere Sunday were the poor people living in coastal shanty towns. The wealthier countries around the Pacific Rim have an established early-warning system against tsunamis, while none currently exists in South Asia. Developing countries that have resisted the Kyoto climate-change protocols have done so from fear that it will suppress their economic growth. These countries deserve an answer from the proponents of those standards. How are they supposed to pay for such protection amid measures that are suppressing global economic growth?
As we mourn the loss of life and unite to help the survivors rebuild their lives and communities, let's also bear in mind that the best long-term help is an economic environment that allows these nations to put in place better manmade defenses against future depredations from nature.

I thought it was a Nuclear Sub exploding?

Ahhhh my tinfoil chapeau.....

canteen_cowboy said:
so did gobal warming caused by all this pollution bring about then end of the Ice Age as well? :wink:
Of course! And Global Warming is also responsible for the fact that we are still significantly colder than we were during the Medieval Warm Period, and that the average temp for the last 100 yrs is significantly below the average for the last 1000 etc etc etc :lol:

Of course climate change happens, on many scales -
yearly (seasons)
11-year (sunspot cycles)
10,000odd year (ice age cycle)
and there's some other related cycles going on as well. The enviro-loons only ever seem to start their graphs around the 'Little Ice Age' of the 18th century, and never during or before the Medieval Warm period, so of course it looks like we're getting unnaturally warmer! :roll:

Given that human-related CO2 emissions account for only about 3% (IIRC) of total global CO2 emissions annually, can we really be having that much of an effect? And if we are (which I'm pretty sure we're not), how come it's only been noticed in the last 20 yrs or so, when in the 60s they were obsessed with 'global cooling'???

stoatman said:
canteen_cowboy said:
so did gobal warming caused by all this pollution bring about then end of the Ice Age as well? :wink:
Of course! And Global Warming is also responsible for the fact that we are still significantly colder than we were during the Medieval Warm Period, and that the average temp for the last 100 yrs is significantly below the average for the last 1000 etc etc etc :lol:

Of course climate change happens, on many scales -
yearly (seasons)
11-year (sunspot cycles)
10,000odd year (ice age cycle)
and there's some other related cycles going on as well. The enviro-loons only ever seem to start their graphs around the 'Little Ice Age' of the 18th century, and never during or before the Medieval Warm period, so of course it looks like we're getting unnaturally warmer! :roll:

Given that human-related CO2 emissions account for only about 3% (IIRC) of total global CO2 emissions annually, can we really be having that much of an effect? And if we are (which I'm pretty sure we're not), how come it's only been noticed in the last 20 yrs or so, when in the 60s they were obsessed with 'global cooling'???
much preferred my abridged version stoatman :wink: :lol: but thanks anyway

Whatever caused it, it was all America's fault anyway. If the CIA weren't reponsible for it, then they failed to warn hundreds of millions of people in Third-World ramshackle regions in the space of about 45 minutes. And of course, let's not forget all those evil multinational corporations are about to get even richer by somehow profiteering from it all. Which is probably why the CIA organised it in the first place......

AAAAAGGGHHHH. I can't take anymore conspiracy theories!!!!!!

Then again, maybe that's their plan to get to me.......I'm off to the bunker....

If the loons wanna help the planet, they should stop breathing and filling the world with there polutants of the CO2.

Oh by the way my watch has stopped working is this also because of global warming or it of the fact that i forgot to wind it??

"Oh by the way my watch has stopped working is this also because of global warming or it of the fact that i forgot to wind it??"

No, you'll find that one is down to Maggie (or 'Thatcher' as her name is spat by the hatred-filled ones). The rule here being that if it's a present problem then it's the fault of the Yanks, if it's a previous problem then it's the fault of the Lady With The Balls.

I bet David Icke has the answer. It was space aliens disguised as the Queen and...er...the Illuminati mob. They must have had a big global conspiracy meeting in Indonesia and jumped up and down a lot. Probably.

Awol said:
Whatever caused it, it was all America's fault anyway. If the CIA weren't reponsible for it, then they failed to warn hundreds of millions of people in Third-World ramshackle regions in the space of about 45 minutes. And of course, let's not forget all those evil multinational corporations are about to get even richer by somehow profiteering from it all. Which is probably why the CIA organised it in the first place......

AAAAAGGGHHHH. I can't take anymore conspiracy theories!!!!!!

Then again, maybe that's their plan to get to me.......I'm off to the bunker....
The yanks did cause the tsunami.

Evidence on Fox News last night. A shot of Colin Powell signing a book of condolence at the Indonesian Embassy in Washington DC.

The announcer said he was writing his APOLOGIES ..........What had the yanks done to aplogise about? …What have we not been told?

the testing of their secret earth quake ray from deigo garcia obviously
my wife actually believed that :roll: .I thought the verdict on global warming is still out .

Global warming is just a bluff by the yanks to hide the Earthquake Ray - Funny how Diego Garcia suffered no damage 8O 8O 8O

For this Greenpeace c0ck to attempt to subvert the death of >120000 for his own political agenda is pisspoor.

It was caused by a bloody great earthquake.

End of.

I do not doubt that all out Pollution and greenhouse what ever is causing the earths temp to rise.
But the Earth is going through one of it's cycles and as the events of last week showed man is just an insignificant pimple on the arsse of the Planet.
john

I do not doubt that all out Pollution and greenhouse what ever is causing the earths temp to rise.
But the Earth is going through one of it's cycles and as the events of last week showed man is just an insignificant pimple on the arsse of the Planet.
john

Boris is right again cant blame anyone though nothing wrong with looking for rouge asteroids
dinosaurs died out cos they didnt have a space program :lol:

What is amasing, is that "Greenpeace" is taken so seriously by so many, and given such large amounts of money in "contributions" by so many people and Corporations.

Study up on Greenpeace, it's origins in Vancouver BC, and originators. It was and is nothing but a free ride scam.