Green Poppies

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by armchair_jihad, Nov 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just recieved a email from a mate whose misfortune it is to live near Halifax he says that he has seen Green poppy's on sale in the local asian market, when he asked he was told they were for Islamic victims of Western Wars

Is this true? I have not been back to the UK for some time to know if this sort of thing is acceptable.

2. It better not be true.

3. Quick goggle show nothing but what does that prove :?

4. If I see any about I certainly wont be happy, especially next sunday.

5. Coincidentally I'm going to Halifax tomorrow. I'll look out for any evidence.

6. A thread about Muslims and an unfounded rumour, PTP is going to be seeing red

7. Goku. At least it's the right colour.....

8. If it’s true I wont be impressed, I bet some bleeding heart hippy came up with the idea.

9. I remember there was a flirtation with White Poppies a few years ago which was also an insult to our war dead.

In fact If I see any Poppies of any colour than Red, I may have to give someone a severe one way conversation utilising the full range of freeoms of speech that sacrifices were made for.

10. I don't know about the UK, however in Canada, the Royal Canadian Legion holds the copyright to the Poppy emblem (regardless of colour). Hence, were such an idea to come up here, the Legion could take legal action against any group or individual instigating the wearing of non-Legion approved poppies.

11. Green poppies!

Jaisus! D'ey'll be sayin' Quollocks too da Bween next!

Poppies are red!!!

MsG

Oi know, Oi know, oim 'n' Oirshman, an' all. But still!

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I think that one dates back to the 1920's when the Pacifist movement was very popular especially among intellectual circles.

13. Did anyone see the blue ones from last year? If I recall they were to recognise the guys wounded or scarred (mentally & physically) in service.

14. No doubt well intentioned effort to draw attention to the wounded but no strong Brand should be diluted, Poppy's should be red and red only. It has alway signified ALL Service casualties to me.

Hopefully the BL has it copyrighted as Wotan says the RCL does and these Greenies can be issued with a cease and disist.

15. Oh well... look on the bright side - at least when you're walking down the street you'll be able to identify Jihadists more easily.

Green Poppy, 200, 1/2 right... RAPID...

...er, potatoe lobbing?