Green light for £37m Viking regeneration

Ministry of Defence said:
The Royal Navy's fleet of Viking amphibious all-terrain vehicles is to be regenerated under a new £37m contract with BAE Systems the MOD has announced today.

More...

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
37m - did they get that in writing and signed in blood?

So that's a new coat of paint and an oil change that will be stopped half way through as replacing the oil will cost another 137 million due to the rising cost of spanners.

£374,000 Per viking for a refurb. Not bad when you consider they cost £14 million each when new.

Hope the cost includes a better camouflage scheme because Bae saw the Royals coming....Twice.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought we were buying the singapore? thing to replace it. has that been knocked on the head again?

I thought we were buying the singapore? thing to replace it. has that been knocked on the head again?
Warthog was bought from Singapore Kinetics to meet the Afghan specific requirements that Viking couldn't. I suspect this regeneration is about returning the Vikings to 'contigency'.

It probably means we'll be selling them off soon then.

The warthog future is questioned... but not answered.

In the article I read, it talked of the amphibious capability being re-introduced. Does Warthog have this?

I was under the impression that the Viking was classified as a massive piece of shit, will this 37m stop it from being so?
I imagine that is probably from the MOD trying to make something that is supposed to float fight on land.

I was thinking more their first attempt at building amphibious vehicles, end result with two Royals sat on an upturned viking in the middle of a lake whilst the other try's to land using only a two stroke engine and the power of the wind.

Seeing as the RN are already having an almighty cluster with their carriers, F-35a/b/c/d/e/f/g, they could speak very nicely to the yanks and see about getting a swapsy of 4 Amphibious Assault vehicles for the Harriers they got. Just the 4 mind you, we don't want them to over commit.

Latest Threads