Greeks can't accept the truth in plain language!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Le_Frotter, May 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some german comedian pointed out the absurdity of the Greeks position today:

"In the face of economic catastrophe, the Greeks decided to stop working. That didn't help things. Whoever would have thought?!"

Even before its economic problems, Greece was infamous for having a burgeoning black economy where corrupt government officials were for sale. As an example, one fairly well known way to get round not being able to pass a driving test in the UK was to simply buy a licence from Greece.

2. fu2

fu2 LE

The EU will try to save the Greeks at all costs because they dont want thier precious union to be seen to fail. Theses idiots in Brussels let the Greeks in (despite warnings that the Greeks had lied about thier finances) and don`t want to accept the it`s gone tits up. Interesting note: Greek wages dropped 35% and pensions 25% but defense spending went up 8% (buying subs from the Germans)

3. Will they accept it in (probably butchered) Latin?

Timeo Danaos et dona accipienses!

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Greece is off the sooner the Germans and the rest of Europe get their heads round it the beter.
    Remember those people who owe you a tenner and you never see it again well thats Greece.
    The more Germany puishes the more the Greeks will resist paying back a penny.
    The markets over there are already gearing up to deal in Drachma's
    Freinds have a son working out there and he expects to be getting paid in nice new Drachma's by the ned of June.
    Greece will de value them and become the cheapest holiday destination in Europe.
    Why go to Spain and Portugal when you can get far more for your pound in Greece.
    It'll drag Spain and Portugal down and eventually Europe as the Germans want it will fall apart.
    The thousand year Reich is just not going to plan.
    Germany and France bent the rules to allow them all in now it's biting them, on the arrse they are whinging about it.

• Like Like x 5
  5. The Boxheeds are laughing up their sleeves at all this. They have an export-orientated economy and the lower the euro drops against other currencies, the more they earn. Ole Chubby-chops Merkel has had her orders from those who really run the country to spin out the confusion as long as possible.

The simple solution? A financial zero-reset across the whole world and nationalisation of all the banks (including the state banks), since they're all very reluctant to admit that their books are chokka with worthless toxic debt and they want to recoup that at some point. Result? Debts all gone and the whole insane roundabout can restart for the next financial catastrophe. That's what Capitalism does for ya!

MsG

6. I thought Lagarde's stern comment that Greeks should consider that there are kids in Africa suffering worse than Greek kids was spot on, if not remotely tactful. After all Greeks might respond that the Troika seems set on pushing their busted economy nearly that far South rather than attempting any sensible repairs.

She's probably entirely sincere and with a depression sweeping in was one of the first figure to demand some economically conventional attention to growth. Politically she must pander to German prejudices but this is not a time to wind up the Bubbles, they just voted once to tell the Troika to sod off and rioted to the same effect rather a lot. If they aren't soothed to the point of compliance that may leave the EU with no option but drag them kicking and screaming out of Euro. There's fair odds that spectacle might bugger the rest of the PIIGS and europe's banking system. So it's time for kind words even if you are implacably set on boxing up the Parthenon and shipping it to Berlin.

7. Well as to the language problem... it is probably all Greek to them... change the font...

8. I'm normally an advocate of democracy but sometimes you just meet people and wonder who thought it was a good idea.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Who was buying their product?

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I've only seen her speak in person once, I would not want to argue with her on a bad day......
    Here is one to ponder; how would DSK have played this?
    Personally, and although I admire Madame Lagarde, I think DSK would have handled the situation with more sensitivity to the details of acceptance.

11. I think that Publius Vergilius Maro said it better: "Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentis."

12. Yes, but on that occasion they were bearing gifts, not taking them! :grin:

13. At first glance I thought this was an extended limerick .

14. Or a shortened sonnet?