Greek coup d'état?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BiscuitsAB, Nov 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

So the Greek Government just sacked the head of each of their tri-services. Do you think they were worried?

And do you think it could happen elsewhere in Europe? If you were in charge of a coup how would you do it and who would get what?

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I like the Libya model. Start a rebel army, shoot every fucker who stands in your way and get help from the bigger boys with ships and planes and what not.

I'd also like to sail a Type 42 up the Thames and carry out NGS on Croydon because it's a fucking shit hole.

• Like Like x 1
  3. My coup d'etat would be aimed at reintroducing the death penalty on Lorry Drivers that overtake on the middle lane causing a 20 minute mobile chicaine because their lorry is going 1/4 of a mile per hour faster than the lorry on the inside lane. That and Caravan owners would be sent to Re-education camps.

Could it happen elsewhere in Europe. I'm betting Germany. Zey Hav been too qviet for too long. The Jackboot may have been replaced by the Comfortable Loafer, but they're still marching in step.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Did they sack them? Or was it the NORMAL thing for greek servicemen. Prior to retiring they get bumped up a rank so their pay is highrrer so their pension is bigger so they can claw more cash from the EU:)

It is a sadly the truth .

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Portugal could go the same way - they have the same tradition of military dictatorships. Other than that, probably not many. We lack the idealogical conflict of the cold war to make a right wing dictatorship acceptable in europe again.As to Britain, the army's not big enough to take over the country, even if the whole of the TA and the various army cadet forces turned out (although the public school CCF detachments probably represent an large number of idealogically conservative, armed groups around the country!)

6. Resident Foreign Affairs 'Expert' at Sky News Tim Marshall says in his opinion it has nothing to do with a coup d'etat,but then he also said that in his opinion the Rebels would never win in Libya,so I would get ready for fireworks in Greece....Watch this space.

7. this Greek referendum stuff just proves that democracy doesnt work. what they need is a strong leader with the national interest at heart........if only we hadnt killed The Colonel

8. Didn't the bubbles just buy a herd of tanks?

9. I think history shows us that all of these 'swarthy' looking types are prone to a bit of internal para-military action every now and then. I wouldn't be overly surprised if they started shooting each other. I wouldn't be overly bothered either.

• Like Like x 2
  10. my latest theory is that we work out how much they owe the EU and if they go on to a complete default we take that number, do some fag packet calculations to work out how much infrastructure that equates to and the bomb it into the ground.

the international equivalent of kneecapping someone for not paying their debts

11. Just Croydon? Seems like a waste of a good opportunity to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Agreed. Couldn't you pay a visit to the Port of Liverpool while you're at it?

13. We should encourage them to do so. Aren't the French a bit swarthy too?

14. A Greek coup d'etat? Some of us are old enough to remember the last one! See below.

We went to stay with the Greek officer from my fathers Staff Course for a summer holiday in 1972. He had a rather lovely place in Salonika and we played on the beach of the Officers' Club. Sadly some years later, after the Christmas cards stopped coming, we learnt that Sirtirius had been shot in the reprisals that followed.

Greek military junta of 1967

15. Need a crew?