Greek civil war.

Kefi

War Hero
The 4th of Dec marks the beginning of the Greek civil war. I would be interested to hear if anyone has any family history connected to this period of Greek history.

The 4th of Dec marks the beginning of the Greek civil war. I would be interested to hear if anyone has any family history connected to this period of Greek history.

No family history - but having lived there for 10 years, I know the impact it had on the country and still does today.

Nice to see the lads from 15 Para ? laying down suppressing fire with a captured MG 42 !

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I didn't know much about this so looked it up. Paragraph below may assist others:

The Greek Civil War was fought between the Greek government army (supported by the United Kingdom and the United States) and the Democratic Army of Greece (DSE) – the military branch of the Communist Party of Greece (KKE) (supported by Bulgaria, Albania, Yugoslavia, and covertly by the Soviet Union via their Eastern European proxies) from 1946 to 1949. The fighting resulted in the defeat of the DSE by the Hellenic Army.

I didn't know much about this so looked it up. Paragraph below may assist others:

The Greek Civil War was fought between the Greek government army (supported by the United Kingdom and the United States) and the Democratic Army of Greece (DSE) – the military branch of the Communist Party of Greece (KKE) (supported by Bulgaria, Albania, Yugoslavia, and covertly by the Soviet Union via their Eastern European proxies) from 1946 to 1949. The fighting resulted in the defeat of the DSE by the Hellenic Army.

And lead to the Military Junta 'running' the country for a few years - which they were particularly crap at.
Much of the beaurocratic inefficiency and corruption today can be attributed to that period.

Also, at 44 seconds in, use of a Kar98k.

The MG 42 or 34 is neither, I think. A brief glimpse shows a smooth tubular shape like that of the MG15 - it is a dismounted aircraft MG (such as was used in manned AA positions on German bombers)

Last edited:

Latest Threads