Greece WWII - books

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Goatman, Sep 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Having just come back from a holiday in the Ionian, I got interested in the WWII campaign for Greece.

The attached booklist from MoD Library is a start but if you know of a good book which covers the campaign I'd be interested to hear of others:

Grateful for any additions,

Le Chevre
  2. Air War over Yugoslavia , Greece and Crete . Chris Shores.

Publisher: Grub Street
    Language: English
    ISBN: 0948817070

Covers the Airwar from beating the Italians in '40 , to the German offensive in 1941. Also includes in depth detail of the Paratroop assault and the Germans deliberately crashing 52's on the airfield at Heraklion , to get troops into the fight.

Includes full detail and background to the "last great act of defiance" of the RAF over Athens in 1941 , where 14 Hurricanes took on 200+ Gernans. One of the 14 pilots that day was Roald Dahl. Massive well researched tome, well worth the money.
  3. Kurt Mayer's Book "Grenadier" contains a chapter on Greece.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

On the way back from the Sandbox two years ago, the good ship Sir Galahad stopped in Crete ( Soudha) and I rent-a-biked to Maleme, the airfield where much of the German airborne assault took place. Still a Greek military facility and ironically they were parachuting onto it the day I was there.

Visited the German war cemetery - iirc 6,000 dead. Some slightly contentious memorial 'history'.

Steep butcher's bill for what it turned out was a strategically non significant asset.....Also put the Nazi High Command off using paratroops against determined ground defence for the duration of the war....the Cretans subsequently maintained resistance for the duration.

( That said, any Wehrmacht trooper who got posted to the Greek islands instead of the East must have counted himself a lucky lad....beautiful part of the world)

Lee Shaver