Greece - a sinking ship?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fertman, Apr 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gosh, when I was a sprog, they told me about the Greeks ruling the waves. Later, as I got older, the media told me about that Onassis chap, shagged some yank bird, I believe. Nobody has ever asked if they can swim, though.
    Thing is, if our banks try to teach them, my tax bill would be able to sink the Bismark.

2. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

A third of the working population work in the Public Sector, they get an extra month's pay at the end of the year and retire on MORE than they earnt per annum when working. FFS, no wonder they're fecked. Next it will be Spain, Italy, Portugal and other layabout countries... then we'll suffer as the EU nick our wallets (again) to bail 'em out. :x NURSE

3. Thanks, our place in the world, our economy, is so out of people's thoughts that it is beyond belief. Better, ever ? Doubtful.

4. You left Ireland off the list. Bloody Europe. Bloody Euro. They should dig that traitorous shite Heath up and put the cnut on trial.

5. That'll be the Trireme going down then

Odo

6. You forgot to mention the optional payment of tax......or not

Odo

7. If Greece with the Euro goes down the pan , what about the rest of the Euro countries doing a domino and having their currencies colapse as well ??

8. Ireland's economy is in the toilet!!!

We are putting up to €25 billion into our banks, no matter what the Government says we are paying for it by borrowing (while we are paying for it in cuts as well).

Our bankers are still getting bonuses and perks, with no consequences for anyone except the taxpayer.

Yet we are also putting €0.5 billion into Greece, we are lending the Greeks money to buy their own bonds in their own country!!!

9. Apparently not, it looks the the Erics are footing the bill.

10. We might not be in the Euro but we're sure as hell in the IMF. In fact, of the 90 odd members, we're the fourth biggest contributor.

Gordon's still got his hands on the national bank account, and what's left of the gold reserves. I wouldn't put it past him to give us one last fiscal kick in the chankers before he goes down in a ball of flames on 6 May. Knowing his fondness for chucking cash about, I would be surprised if IMF haven't been on the phone already.

11. Greece's Economy is some farming, much shipping and the state.
    The state takes out and does not create Wealth much as Gorden has done in UK.
    The Greeks have had their Days of plenty and now do not want to suffer the pain of their excess.
    john
    Sounds a bit like UK.
    If Greece goes UK will only be a year or so behind.

12. Yes I thought all along that Britain under Dear Leader would be parting with yet more money to help Greece.Perhaps Cyclops has considered a tax rate of 100% for those not employed on the public sector to fund this?.

13. You think Greece is a problem, wait until Turkey join the EU and watch the sh*t really hit the fan. And all the top 3 partys' want them in. Do you think the great British public will get any say? of course not, we may give the wrong answer.

This European super state will cause the exact thing it originally was trying to avoid, an unstable Europe, and history tells us what that can lead to.

14. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

It's amazing what the Germans will suck up to keep the European experiment on track but that may be coming to an end. I wonder how much political capital Merkel will need to persuade the Germans to graft on in order to keep the Greeks in clover - it's game over for the EU if she can't.

(Edit)

15. Beat me to it!