Greatest Soul Singer?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Rudie, Aug 8, 2009.

?
  1. Can't Decide,they are all superb

22.2%
  2. Marvin Gaye

27.8%
  3. Otis Redding

33.3%
  4. Sam Cooke

11.1%
  5. Jame Brown

5.6%
  6. Percy Sledge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been listening to a lot of Sam Cooke of late,and I would have to say in my opinion he was the greatest soul singer - only just though,wiith the Big O trailing a very close second.
    Saying that,I could quite easily have a change of opinion tomorow.
    Mind you,Have a listen to "Dark End Of The Street" by Percy Sledge - magnificent.

2. All very good but what about the women;

Aretha Franklin
    Etta James
    Janis Joplin

3. I think a prerequisite might be an appearance in the Blues Brothers film and possibly also the good sense not to get shot.

4. A lot would depend on the preferred sound? Motown, Stax or Atlantic for example...For me the sound of Stax is the genuine sound of soul. Motown was far too commercial although still brilliant, whilst soul wasn't a speciality of the great Atlantic label. Stax and it's sound gave us Otis Redding and Carla Thomas as a duet, two of the greatest soul singers ever...Sublime!!!

5. Just a quick one. have you ever listened to Barb Jungr. The lady is superb, does a lot of Elvis covers, puts a real different spin on his classics.
    Give her a whirl...

6. Etta James gives me the chills. Don't forget Anita Baker, either.

But although I love pretty much everyone on the list, particularly Marvin Gaye, and their different sounds/styles, I'm afraid my sentimental vote must go to...

... the Reverend Al mothafuckin' Green.

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Now there's a girl who knew how to party.

8. Jackie Wilson and our very own Dusty Springfield could mix it with the best.

9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

aretha. no question.

10. Best SOUL singer? It's a no-brainer - Otis Redding.

MsG

11. Chef from South Park. Man, I loved his Chocolate Salty Balls.

12. Isaac Hayes was a Ledgend.

SHAFT!!

13. Chef was better. ;)

14. Wilson Pickett