Greatest military films of all time

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by fastmedic, Oct 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :D :D Throw it out to the forum, what do you think was an iconic military film(s)?

I will start with:

Zulu.....Michael Caine with the plummy guards officer's mouth of marbles. :p

Full Metal Jacket.....I had sympathy for Pte Pyle :?

Go tell the Spartans......Burt Lancaster and the rest of the spams....winning to lose in early Vietnam. :roll:

Over to you 8)

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

All of the above make reasonable viewing, but they are just a bit cheesey.

There can be only one iconic war film and that is DAS BOOT........ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: for fat fingers on keyboard....

3. The Odd Angry Shot - Aussies in 'Nam
    Downfall - last days of berlin :)

4. Done to death fellas enter a search (using the button at the top of the page) and enter a keyword of greatest in this forum - there's at least 4 returns with lots of replies in each.

Here

Editted again because I worked it out :roll:

5. Das Boot for me too.
    Closely followed by dog Soldiers.

6. The Longest Day

or for fun Dog Soldiers

7. Dog soldiers was the puppys parts.

New war movie Jarhead out in November should be the shiznit.

8. theirs is the glory

9. Stalingrad - there's a fantastic bit where a German soldier is shot into two bits by a tank. Just his torso left wiggling around. Bummer.

10. Saving Private Ryan. Its not an oldie flick, but certainly took me to a place that I'd never want to go. I cried like a beehotch at the end and blamed the air conditioning for my wet eyes. Opening scene was a little too real.

Oldie but goldie - Bridge too Far.....DFA!

11. Sorry , how is this thread different to the other one that's several zillion posts long?

12. Tunes of Glory

13. Carry on up the Khyber

14. Starship Troopers.