Greatest Guitarists

Whilst whiling away the early hours, I've been browsing through a selection of video's on YouTube. I was pretty impressed with 'Slash' formerly of Guns 'N' Roses with his performances in Sweet Child O' Mine and Welcome To The Jungle.

It got me thinking about the age old debate of WHO are the greatest Guitarists ever.

Clapton? Slash? Hendrix?

What are your thoughts?

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Clapton for his ability to hold a song with one note over a number of beats
Richards for his verve in playing through years of heroin addiction
Hendrix for his innovation
Cray for the soul of his blues
King for his union with Lucille

I could go on (and on) but blues inspired rock artists who can hold the essence are rare and a joy to behold.

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Jimmi Hendrix
Yngwie Malmsteen

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a generation thing in my house.

Me - Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour. All great for different reasons.
Offspring - Slash, Matt Heafey.

Duane Allman
Jan Akkerman
Jimmy Page
Richard Thompson
Mark Knopfler

The oldies are still great, but don't forget some of the newer ones. Matt Bellamy would be able to give the best of them a run for their money.

engr172

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Carlos Santana
Angus Young
Jimmy Page

I agree with most of those named on here and would like to add to the mix Joe Bonamassa, he is hailed as one of the greatest young blues guitarists of his generation.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Without a doubt, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton. Oddly enough, both started at around the same time, and around the same place - Kingston and Epsom in Surrey. Strange that a nice suburban area like that should produce the two greatest British guitarists of all time, but there you go.

Without a doubt, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton. Oddly enough, both started at around the same time, and around the same place - Kingston and Epsom in Surrey. Strange that a nice suburban area like that should produce the two greatest British guitarists of all time, but there you go.
Jeff Beck hailed from Wallington in Surrey as well.

(The Rubettes was it that came from Carshalton in Surrey? I'm sayin' nowt.)