Greatest County Infantry Regiment (pre-1958)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by diehard57, Nov 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, who in the opinion of my fellow Arssers was the greatest County Infantry Regiment prior to the 1958 amalgamations?

I'll start the ball rolling and propose The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own) 57th and 77th of Foot

On the basis of:

11 Victoria Crosses

165 Battle Honours including - Albuhera, Badahoz, Mysore, Serinapatam, Alma, Inkerman, Sevastopol, New Zealand, South Africa 1879, South Africa 1900-02, Mons, Ypres, Loos, Somme, Arras, Vimy, Passchendaele, Cambrai, Gallipoli, Palestine, Siberia, Dunkirk, El Alamein, Hong Kong, Sicily, Anzio, Normandy Landing, Falaise, Venlo Pocket, Rhineland, Reichswald, Goch, Rhine Crossing, Naktong Bridgehead, Korea 1950-51

10 Battalions pre 1914 - Regular 1st-4th, Militia (Special Reserve) 5th-6th and Territorial 7th-10th

First 'Imperial Service' battalion - 7th (TF) - volunteered to serve overseas in 1912. Second 'Imperial Service' battalion was 8th Middlesex.

The 1st Battalion was the first British regiment to land in France after the declaration of war in August 1914.

First shots fired in anger by British infantry were those of 4th Battalion at Mons on 23/8/14

The first guns captured from the Germans were those at Nery 1st September 1914 taken by "D" Coy 1st Bn.

1/7th and 1/8th Battallions first Territorials to go overseas (to Gib) in September 1914.

A total 46 Battalions raised in Great War - 12,694 dead

6 battalions fought in Second World War - 1,117 dead

1st Battalion sacrificed by Churchill with fall of Hong Kong in 1941.

1/7th Battalion was only 'sassenach' infantry battalion in the famous 51st Highland Division 1941-1944.

2nd Battalion among first to land in Normandy 6th June 1944 (H-Hour +20)

1st Battalion (and 1A&SH) first British infantry to fight in Korea in 1950

1st Battalion had the only Carribean Steel Band in the British Army after a posting to Jamaica in the 1960's.

Arguably the most famous nickname in British Army - the 'Die-Hards' - (Battle of Albuhera 16th May 1811) the inspiration for 4 Hollywood blockbusters starring Bruce Willis :D

Gentlemen, let battle commence........

2. 24th of Foot, South Welsh Borderers - Nobody else has a major Hollywood epic made of them!

3. My dad served with the Middlesex in Korea as a reinforcement from the KSLI and always spoke highly of them. Think he tried to stay with them when they left Korea but had to return to KSLI (might have had more to do with leaving Korea though!)

4. The Dorsets, solid and dependable made of the 39th and 54th foot.

1st May 1915 when Germans first used poison gas against British soldiers Lieutenant Kestell-Cornish and four men held the British line untill reinforcements arrived
    The only British battalion present at the battle of Plassey which enshrined British rule in India for the next two centuries.

Other battle honours; Plassey, [Gibraltar 1779-83]1, Albuhera, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Nivelle, Nive, Orthes, Peninsula, Maharajpore, Sevastopol

Have a real essay in for Monday so will leave someone else to promote this fine and worthy candidate.

Showing up the navy with the Sarah Sands incident.

5. I have my Grandfather's Middlesex cap bagde from WW1 - he was in the 7th Londons but they changed to become a part of the Middlesex in 1916 - it was the cap badge he was demobbed with.

But greatest county reg? Maybe the Ox & Bucks LI - the Glorious Glosters, the Buffs or the Devons - maybe the Middlesex - all I know is that the greatest thing about county regiments was the men that made them up.

6. The Lincolnshire Regiment "The Poachers" mainly becuase of my family conections

7. 24th of Foot, but the South Warwickshires on the day of the battle. they became the SWB two years later.

8. Surely the The Gloucestershire Regiment 28th / LXI:

Battle Honours:

Ramillies
    Louisberg
    Guadaloupe 1759
    Quebec 1759
    Martinique 1762
    Havannah
    St Lucia 1778
    Maida
    Corunna
    Talavera
    Busaco
    Barrosa
    Albuhera
    Salamanca
    Vittoria
    Pyrenees
    Nivelle
    Nive
    Orthes
    Toulouse
    Peninsula
    Waterloo
    Chillianwallah
    Goojerat
    Punjaub
    Inkerman
    Sevastopol
    Delhi 1857
    Defence of Ladysmith
    Relief of Kimberley
    Paardeberg
    South Africa 1899-1902
    The Great War 1914-18
    Mons
    Retreat from Mons
    Marne 1914
    Aisne 1914/18
    Ypres 1914/15/17
    Langemarck 1914/17
    Gheluvelt
    Nonne Bosschen
    Givenchy 1914
    Gravenstafel
    St Julien
    Frezenberg
    Bellewaarde
    Aubers
    Loos
    Somme 1916/18
    Albert 1916/18
    Bazentin
    Delville Wood
    Pozieres
    Guillemont
    Flers-Courcelette
    Morval
    Ancre Heights
    Ancre 1916
    Arras 1917/18
    Vimy 1917
    Scarpe 1917
    Messines 1917/18
    Piclckem
    Menin Road
    Polygon Wood
    Broodseinde
    Poelcappelle
    Passchendaele
    Cambrai 1917/18
    St Quentin
    Bapaume 1918
    Rosieres
    Avre
    Lys
    Estaires
    Hazebrouck
    Bailleul
    Kemmel
    Bethune
    Droucourt
    Queant
    Hindenburg Line
    Epehy
    Canal du Nord
    St Quentin Canal
    Beaurevoir
    Selle
    Valenciennes
    Sambre
    France & Flanders1914/18
    Piave
    Vittorio Veneto Italy 1917/18
    Struma Doiran 1917
    Macedonia1915-18 Suvla
    Sari Bair
    Scimitar Hill
    Gallipoli 1915/16
    Egypt 1916
    Tigris 1916
    Kut al Amara 1917
    Baghdad
    Mesopotamia 1916/18
    Persia 1918

The Second World War
    Defence of Escaut
    St Omar-la Bassee
    Wormhoudt
    Cassel
    Villiers
    Bocage
    Mont Pincon
    Falaise
    Risle Crossing
    Le Harve
    Zeten
    North West Europe 1940 44/45
    Taukyan Paungde Monywa 1942
    North Arakan
    Mayu Tunnels
    Pinwe Shweli
    Myitson
    Burma 1942 44/45

Hill 327
    Imjin
    Korea 1950-51

Plus:

The Back Badge - Alexandria 1801
    Quatre Bras - only English county regiment named in Wellington's Waterloo dispatch
    The US Presedential Citation - Battle of Imjin

9. Royal Sussex, no question. 4 VCs in the Great War, 1 in the Second
    My Great-Great-Uncle's regt.

10. Did the Royal Hamps have more battle honours than any other regiment?
    Or were they the most decorated?

11. 2nd Warwickshires actually. Hence playing of "Warwickshire Lads" at the garden party in the film.

12. Royal Warwicks - produced two Field Marshals serving at the same time i.e. Monty and Bill Slim. :salut:

13. Really, you mean old Caine and Baxter were b/sing us in the film with the 'Welshness' of it all?

Stuff that! I'm changing my vote, Go Gloucester!

14. Aren't you all glad the Scottish regiments were not strictly 'County' regiments?? Though I think a 'City' regiment the old HLI (City of Glasgow Regiment) to name but one would beat all the afore mentioned in the kind of regimental d**k measuring contest that's going on right now!!!

Admittedly the Middlesex had the coolest nickname - 'Diehards' - to younger members Bruce Willis was not at the Battle of Albhuera.

Though I think the 93rd (Sutherland) Highlanders later 2nd Bn A&SH
    epitomised the romantic image of British infantry being able to punch way above their weight and gained perhaps the most famous British Army nickname - 'The Thin Red Line'

Bill Slim thought of himself as a Gurkha when he was a Field Marshall!

I think the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers fielded the most Bns in WW1.

Damn one could go on and on. Many a barroom brawl over who has what and how many - just ask the KOSB and King's Regiment!

15. Got to be XX Foot The Lancashire Fusiliers. 6 V.C.'s before breakfast, 25th April 1915, at Gallipoli.

OMNIA AUDAX.