Greatest British Army victories and defeats

The noted military historian, Richard Holmes, summarised the victories and defeats of the British Army in this recent magazine article which I found in a waiting room:

Mail on Sunday

Nothing about BAOR 1945-89!!!

Litotes

Mboto gorge

Hero of the hour a Captain E BlackAdder

'Hero of Mboto Gorge' in 1892, where he had faced "ten thousand Watutsi warriors armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and dry guava halves"

Some battle that, and one that we could all do well to remember!

4000+ dead POWs in Turkish hands after Kut, 1916, is enough to put you off your kebabs and more than enough reason to keep giving them grief!

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Litotes said:
The noted military historian, Richard Holmes, summarised the victories and defeats of the British Army in this recent magazine article which I found in a waiting room:

Mail on Sunday

Nothing about BAOR 1945-89!!!

Litotes

Holmes is a Bore, Somme at No1 ?

Absolutely. Great in magnitude, certainly, but as opposed to battles such as Waterloo or El Alamein (or indeed all of the other battles mentioned in the article), its impact was only indirect, whereas the others can de described as decisive. I'm surprised that Assaye isn't mentioned, for instance.

Would've thought that there were more defeats what about the retreat of Dunkirk, Tobruk, Crete or Dieppe (even though we took Canadians along to show them how to get a shoeing).
Or even Suez, yes yes i know they were told to get fooked by Uncle Sam in the end, but a defeat is a defeat.

Gren said:
Mboto gorge

Hero of the hour a Captain E BlackAdder

'Hero of Mboto Gorge' in 1892, where he had faced "ten thousand Watutsi warriors armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and dry guava halves"

Some battle that, and one that we could all do well to remember!
Fat lot of good it did him too. He still was ordered over the top. I'll bet he didn't get a gong either. ;) :mrgreen:

Hello,

Beda Fomm is one of our greatest and most neglected victories.

tangosix.

llech said:
Would've thought that there were more defeats what about the retreat of Dunkirk, Tobruk, Crete or Dieppe (even though we took Canadians along to show them how to get a shoeing).
Or even Suez, yes yes i know they were told to get fooked by Uncle Sam in the end, but a defeat is a defeat.
I'd have thought Dunkirk could have ended up much worse with 250,000 Brits taken prisoner

In recent history from my limited military history knowledge,Burma WW2,Malaya Emergency,Op Storm for victories.
Singapore/Malaya,Palestine,Aden,Cyprus,NI for defeats.
Been pushing our luck since the longbow went out of fashion :( :slow:

Holmes is a Bore, but a knowledgeable one.
Try telling any 'Civvy' that the Somme was our greatest victory.
Would have rated Slim's MANDALAY/MEIKTILA as Britain's greatest WW II victory in the field.
john
Good thread.

Interesting list but he doesn't venture further back than the 18th century. What of Agincourt? Or is he only thinking of the modern British army established after the civil war?

I had assumed as much. All in all the article appears pretty lmited in scope. No mention of British India (except WW2 and Afghanistan 1842) as far as victories are concerned, which seems a bit short sighted, except if you consider it was the East India Company and after it the Indian Army...
Also, in the cock ups section, the beginning of the Boer War springs to mind or Maiwand.

sapperbraindead said:
In recent history from my limited military history knowledge,Burma WW2,Malaya Emergency,Op Storm for victories.
Singapore/Malaya,Palestine,Aden,Cyprus,NI for defeats.
Been pushing our luck since the longbow went out of fashion :( :slow:
NI a military defeat? The jury's still out on whether there's even a political solution, I hardly think we were beaten in the field.

björn said:
I had assumed as much. All in all the article appears pretty lmited in scope. No mention of British India (except WW2 and Afghanistan 1842) as far as victories are concerned, which seems a bit short sighted, except if you consider it was the East India Company and after it the Indian Army...
Also, in the c*** ups section, the beginning of the Boer War springs to mind or Maiwand.

Places like Mujuba Hill in the first Boar war and Spion Kop in the 2nd were big fcuk ups, embarrassingly so. They could have easily been on the shiit list. I don't think Maiwand should be on the list though, we were outnumbered big time in that scrap.

sneeky_turd said:
björn said:
Also, in the c*** ups section, the beginning of the Boer War springs to mind or Maiwand.

Places like Mujuba Hill in the first Boar war and Spion Kop in the 2nd were big fcuk ups, embarrassingly so. They could have easily been on the shiit list. I don't think Maiwand should be on the list though, we were outnumbered big time in that scrap.
You're right there s_t, Maiwand was a bit of a misplaced afterthought on my part.

Bouillabaisse said:
Against the Italians, so it doesn't count :D
Hello Bouillabaisse,

how can you not count a battle that (supposedly) ended with the words "Please send help,I am surrounded by prisoners."?
That comment alone puts it in the top ten with maximum points for style.
You can't have a great victory without a great line,it's just not media friendly.

tangosix.