Greater Depression for UK?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by civpop42, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I am not really clued up about economics, but, I have just watched this video about the fiscal mess we are in, and I am genuinely scared for the future. How on earth are we going to get out of this mess we are in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Cwx4Fn62I&feature=sub

2. Care to sum it up? I fell asleep 30 seconds in...

3. Uncle Beard's simple summary:

1. Man has impressive and enviable facial hair.

2. Man is sat in pub with nice overhead beams.

3. Man has confident presence on camera.

4. Man has not slightest fusking clue how to present an argument, tell a story, or inspire an audience.

Three out of four ain't bad.

All the best,

John.

4. This very boring film contains some truly shocking truths.
    The english live on a island and are unable to grow enough food to feed their people so they buy lots from europe.
    England owes europe lots of money
    every 100 dollers the english earn they foolishly spend 135 dollars
    When europe says to england -- no more food untill you clear your bill---english will starve
    maybe it will happen this winter
    Best watch the film before your election
    starving and poor is not boring-- may be it is coming

5. You do know this is ARRSE and not the London School of Economics think pages?

6. have you seen europes trade deficit? for that matter have you seen the US's?

not stricly true, 2% of our population (the farmers) produce 60% of our intake. its more to do with choice of diet than actual food production capability.

or it wont? if everyone started actually calling in the debt accumilated there wouldnt be a nation on earth in the black.

7. pessimists - shout more loudly and far more numerous than optimists. Usually wrong. Don't admit being wrong. Misery loves company. Need to STFU.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well I have in past exchanged the odd email with Howard.....

9. Wheres the whisky?

10. Markintime

Yes, I am very well aware this is a military forum and this is the Current Affairs forum. The guy who made the video may well be a boring old fart with a big beard on his face, but the message still stands. New Labour are running this country at a Massive budget deficit of over 200 billion per year and are screaming at the Tories for wishing to cut said defecit by a mere 7 billion.

Now, the cuts that the Tories propose will be felt by most of us, but, the cuts needed are staggering and rising fast. Isn't this state of affairs barking mad. It does not matter how other nations run their affairs, is this how we want our country run.

People may stick their heads in the sand and hope for the best, but from where I am, it looks very much like the final stages of some Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme.

11. Trust the people in charge to know better and get you out of the hole, but don't stop looking round for a spare ladder while you are waiting, just in case they don't.

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

So man is a Europhile then, and the campaign to subvert the minds of the daft English has begun.

Europe has saved Britain in the past, and Europe can do so in the future. Without Europe, Britain is nothing and will starve to death.

Europe is owed so much money by the British that they own us.

It is only through membership of Europe that likkle, ikkle, silly Britain can survive.

Utter tw@ttery of the lowest form.

13. My apologies CP, my remark was, perhaps, unnecessarily flippant. That being said we are bombarded, on a daily basis, by differing views on the state of the economy and the action needed to correct it. We are currently going through a phase of people telling us that the economy is nowhere near as bad as has been reported as well as opinion that it is far worse than reported.
    Countries don't 'call in all debt' because their economies are built on trade just as are ours and we have things they need as well. That we are in a dire economic situation is beyond debate but we really do need an accurate, un-weighted independent appraisal of the situation before we can even start to debate a method of recovery. Diagnosis is key without it their can be no targeted treatment and no informed prognosis.
    Whilst, in parts, thought provoking your man is hardly using an international reputation for economic sagacity to give academic credibility to his arguments nor conclusions, some of which are hardly sustainable anyway.

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Soros?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE59F09L20091016?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews

15. mister biped it is insaulting to see me as a europhile as I sleep only with women of my own culture.--joke-
    how can you not see that the electricity and gas for your power is owned by europe. Mr Brown has his own brother as thee top man in the french power buisness and he is to slow up the new atom power generations.
    It was foolish for england to become part of the union of europian countries, it should instead of becoume a suburb of france.