Great War Cold Weather clothing

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Nov 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

For any uniform spotters out there I've just picked up a WW1 vintage seal fur CW hat. They would have been issued for use by the British Army in Northern Russia.

Bedford cord with a quilted cotton drill lining and shiny black seal fur outer. The hat is in superb condition and has had a cap badge fitted to the front. Marked inside (not researched yet) "J.Bell" "LD/G Cook" plus C/MX 86165

There is also a WD stamp with 43 which is not a date stamp but cloth acceptance mark as far I recall. No makers marks.

Attached Files:

2. My goodness! The original "Dangerous Brian" hat has been found.

3. The service number is a post-1934 RN number. The "C" prefix denoting Chatham division.

4. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

OOer does anyone else see the skull slightly off right bottom centre of the second pic

5. Looks like he's wearing an old tricorn hat! Must be the ghost of a very old sea dog!

Attached Files:

6. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Ah, interesting. That would explain the condition. Re-issue item? Was I was wondering if Leading Cook was a naval rank.

Either way, construction exactly as Great war examples and the price was very right.

7. You're right Leading Cook would have been the chaps rank. Changed to Leading Chef now its logistics (food Services) or some such like new speak term.