Great Wall Steed 4x4 Pick up

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by ugly, Apr 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

2. Great Wall 4x4s and Pickups have been on sale here in aus for over 3 years now, they have made quite a name for great performance and
    reliability as well, we are waiting for them to bring out their first automatic , for our next vehicle purchase

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That sounds positive, the reason we went Isuzu was the auto box and the towing capacity is excellent. I cant drive a manual for too long as I broke my body in too many places and a day in a manual is pretty bloody rough on me now!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not massively encouraging is it?

5. No, not really. I know which I'd prefer to put my family in!
    The Chinese version is supposed to be a a carbon copy of the Vauxhall/Opel. Most of the difference is in the materials used from what I gather, the rest is down to very poor build quality.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So its the Indian Ammunition saga all over again, submit a test batch for approvalk then cut build quality to usual shit domestic standards?
    I wonder if this has been noticed in Oz?

7. Yet another fold-up vehicle from Gleat Wall Chow Mein & Motor Concern.

These vehicles, and others of the same ilk are cheap for two reasons:

Low labour costs, not least because the people who design and make them don't know what they're doing
    and
    They're utter shite

I wouldn't put anyone I cared about into a Chinese car. They might look like western cars, but you can't go in five years from making glorified TukTuks to proper cars. Hell, the French have been at it for over a century, and they still haven't got it right.

• Like Like x 3
  8. A friend of mine wanted to import a large quantity of Chinese made miners lamps.
    He queried the ATEX certification, the response from the Chinese manufacturer was "You no worry, our lamps have not caused an explosion yet"
    Another new design lamp was stamped with a certification of a type that expired several years before the company started.
    Considering how many miners die in China every year I wouldn't be to confident myself.
    The Chinese have no worries about certifying their products as whatever they like without even thinking about actually testing it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Friend of mine runs an Isuzu dealership, I asked his opinion, after he stopped laughing he said that Isuzu have a new twin cab coming out this summer.
    Completely new design and promises to drive more like a car than the current offerings on cart springs.
    Oh and you might survive a crash in it and its residuals, reliability, quality (i think you get the picture) will be light years ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I was brought up in the Far East where pretty much everything on sale was a Chinese copy. It all looked great, but it never lasted/always caught fire/it fell apart and so on.

Spend 15 minutes on YuTube..sorry, Youtube and look ap Chinese Cars. Its amazing how they have ripped off BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Izuzu and so on, even having logos that at first glance look like the real thing. The crash tests are frighening!!

Lastly, as a side line I build and design fly fishing rods. A fellow builder went to China to get his range of rods produced. The first batch were brilliant! Retail was around the £500 mark and he had a waiting list. The next batch that turned up were different in colour and fittings. The third batch went back to the original colour and fittings, but were 6 inches shorter..and so it went on. He is now reduced to selling them on ebay at a reduced cost as "seconds"! The same happened to the reels he had made. Spools from one batch dis not fit spools from another.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Made in China the new Health and Safety Warning!

12. Not only that, but the Frontera was pretty poor anyway - it's an even worse comparison if you put it against a new car of the same type, e.g. Crash Test EuroNCAP Ford Kuga (2008) www.sicurauto.it - YouTube

13. You are so, so right . . .

Rolls Royce plays down Ghost recall | News.com.au

14. Yeh the Frontera was never brilliant.
    The reason I chose it for this thread is that the Chinese build a carbon copy from the same design and comparison footage is available bettween a european and chinese manufactured variant.