great wall of china

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by J_D, Jan 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. J_D

J_D LE

This is the 1st time I will have done something like this but some friends and I were thinking of doing a charity walk along the great wall of china but to do this we need to raise a min. of £1000.

We have agreed that flights and accom and food we will pay for our selfs.

We think we will do this over a period of 2 weeks walking 8km's a day. Obv this hasn't been decided fully.

If any one could help us with finding more info out on how we can do this sort of thing and what kind of promoting would help us raise money I will be grateful.

Charity's we are thinking about are:

*children in need
    *famine relief
  2. Have you cut and pasted this from somewhere else or actually used a spell checker for once? 8O
  3. Charity is a great thing and I respect anyone who puts in an effort but

8km per day 8O come off it the Great Wall of China is 500km long you dont have to worry about falling off the end in 2 weeks :twisted:

put the effort in and people will dig deeper :wink:
  4. J_D

J_D LE

i ain't used spell check, i ain't got a problem with my spelling its just a typo, can't see why people gotta moan about it.

Anyways, we are not intending to walk the whole wall, maybe half or a little more but like i said we have not decided yet and it won't be til next year.

Been to the travel shows they hold in london etc for advice on whats good to take and things.

My friends and I like doing this sort of fund raisers, makes you feel your actually helping and its a laugh on the way. If more people got off their lazy back sides it could make a world of difference i reckon.
  5. There are plenty of advertisements in newspapers for events of this kind to help charities. They do Machu Pichu, China etc. Would that not be easier than organising off your own bat?
  6. Why don't you just get a postcard of it from the 'tinternet and send it out to all possible donators to the charity, that way you wouldn't even have to rise off your fat ass to collect monies by deception. :?
  7. J_D

J_D LE

geordie unlike you, i actualy care and will actually do something to raise money for a good cause..............but i ain't having people coming on here trying to ruin another thread so drop it please.

I never knew there are companies etc that will sort the details out for you, thanks poppy. Do you have a website for them at all?
  8. There is ad in "The Times" today on page 48 website is It is a trek on the Great Wall to raise money for various childrens' charities 17-26 September also tel no 0845 408 2698
  9. msr

msr LE

If you really care, the why not do something useful which will benefit people while you do it (e.g a sponsored litter pick). You'll get more money and it won't look like you are getting a free trip to China out of it.

10. J_D

J_D LE

i want to do the china wall as i do care, its a challenge and have you seen how much rubbish there is in london!

I been china plenty and i don't want to go on a "holiday", i played that place out a treat. I done the walk from john o'groats to lands end.

Ridden a bike from poole to darlington.

Swam 10 miles

I done crap loads but my friends and I want to do something challenging, so why question it?
  11. the only part of the Great Wall that you can actually walk along is about 3km long at a place called Balaling about 2 hrs north of Bejing. It was rebuilt by the Chinese in the 60's and is now one of their tourist traps, you will be able to buy a little certificate to say that you had been there however.

The rest of the Great wall is a line of rubble through the Mongolian mountains about 2 feet high. If you wish to walk it you would require an entire mountainering expedition, and a damm sight more than £1000.

I also imagine the Chinese government would have a few questions for a group of westerners who wanted to walk through their northern mountains, after all where do you hide the largest standing army on the planet.

Why don't you walk along Hadrians wall, you might not get shot.
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Anya, as you are posting on the Army Rumour Service website, have you considered the ABF or perhaps another Service based charity ?
    BLESMA, Combat Stress and the RBL spring to mind, but one that you should be aware of is the Glider Pilots Regiment Fund, a very worthwhile charity and one that unfortunately has a finite lifetime......

Please view the picture in this first link then go on to read the following threads:

If you're going to a tab for charity, approx 120 kilometres isn't really much of a challenge, especially over a fourteen day period. You could raise more awareness if you did a similar walk in the UK, and at the same time collect further donations along the way.

T3's comments are very germane and should be read and digested, the PRC Headshed aren't famous for their sense of humour......
  13. J_D

J_D LE

we haven't fully decided that it is china we go to, we may trek some where else. We want out of UK though to do this as we have done so many here, thought we'd get a change of venue. But we'd pay out our own money for that. Money raised will all go to charity.

I know i should give to a military charity and its not just one we are choosing its a few. As i am the only ex mil. with my mates its a debate whether military charity or a child/famine charity. But if we can pick one each then what othe military charity's are about?
  14. Why not UK? Sounds like you're after a jolly

If you're really keen on donating to charity you could, in the case of something UK based, then donate the money you would have given out on the air fare to China, Timbuktoo or where ever. Would probably be more than you'll raise from a 100+km stroll along a section of the Great line of rubble of China (wont get shot at either) :roll:
  15. J_D

J_D LE

if i was after a jolley i'd go to i said we want something different, aswell as chariety it be a challenge for us. I think people mis concieve what i am trying to say.

I think if your doing htis kind of thing then have a laugh, like is aid before my friends and I have done this as over kill in UK and are thinking of abroad, china wall came up. Might even do half of everest, you never know lol

We want something challenging, you know make it worth it. I know people take charity into diferent light but i say make it a laugh while your at it.