Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs refused parole

Should he be let out or stay in? I'm in two minds over this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/

Mr Straw said the Great Train Robber was "wholly unrepentant" about his actions and had "outrageously courted the media" while on the run from prison.

He added that Biggs would have been a free man "many years ago" if he had complied with the sentence given to him.

Mr Straw said: "I have informed Mr Ronald Biggs today of my decision regarding his parole.

"Mr Biggs chose to serve only one year of a 30 year sentence before he took the personal decision to commit another offence and escape from prison, avoiding capture by travelling abroad for 35 years whilst outrageously courting the media.

"Had he complied with his sentence, he would have been a free man many years ago.

"I am refusing the Parole Board's recommendation for parole. Biggs chose not to obey the law and respect the punishments given to him - the legal system in this country deserves more respect than this.

"It was Mr Biggs's own choice to offend and he now appears to want to avoid the consequences of his decision. I do not think this is acceptable.

"Mr Biggs is wholly unrepentant and the Parole Board found his propensity to breach trust a very significant factor. He has not undertaken risk-related work and does not regret his offending."

It had earlier been suggested Biggs could be allowed to be released into the care of a nursing home.

Biggs, who is being held in Norwich prison, is in Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital after breaking his hip in a fall at the weekend.

Biggs has served almost one third of his 30-year sentence.

Biggs's legal adviser, Giovanni Di Stefano, said his client was "seriously ill" and would remain in hospital for the next two to six weeks.

Biggs has suffered a series of strokes and is fed through a tube. He communicates using gestures or by pointing at letters on a card.

If he had been released, it was believed his care would be paid for by Barnet Primary Care Trust, near where his son Michael lives in north London.

He will mark his 80th birthday on August 8, 46 years to the day since the heist.

Biggs, from Lambeth, south London, was a member of a 15-strong gang which attacked the Glasgow to London mail train at Ledburn, Buckinghamshire, in August 1963, and made off with £2.6 million in used banknotes.

He was given a 30-year sentence but after 15 months he escaped from Wandsworth prison in south-west London by climbing a 30ft wall and fleeing in a furniture van.

He was on the run for more than 30 years, living in Spain, Australia and Brazil, before returning to the UK voluntarily in 2001.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Why? is Lambeth about to rise up to reclaim one of its own?

Biggs wasn't even an ODC in the 1960's, why should we believe that at 80 years of age he's even approaching ODC status now.

And no, I won't forgive him for making the Sex Pistols an even bigger laughing stock.

P

PrinceAlbert

Tough luck......he clearly said that he has no remorse, and is therfore not rehabilated by definition. Leave him in there for being such a mong as not to play the game when asked the question.

No sympathy from here, if he had done his time then he would have been out a long time ago.
Like he has said he has shown no remorse and while he is in hospital, maybe a good time to pull the plug on his machine

Good.Let's hope he pops his clogs soon and saves the taxpayer some money.

I was at Northolt when this cnut arrived in May 2001,and he should have been shot on arrival.

Compared to most new Labour MPs he was not a very good thief

He was given a custodial sentance, let him serve it. He escaped from HMP so still has a few years to serve, hope he has an awful death in the Sick Bay of his Prison. The poor train driver died afterwards. Justice is Justice and has no time marker.

LukeyP said:
hes a hero in my eyes
Your heros are arseholes who rob, break out of prison, laugh at the authorities for 30 odd years then come crawling back for healthcare payed for by everyone else :?

Do you like the muggers who rob pensioners as well?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm in 2 minds about this. On the one hand for once I found myself agreeing with whichever of the Brown (an idiot) cronies is i/c Justice - Straw? He has shown no remorse he committed a crime of great violence and should eb punished. On the other hand if he is really ill and is going to require treatment 24/7 at our expense and its cheaper to let him out then maybe that would eb a better option.

I'd have more sympathy with the Brown cronies position if I didn't detect the foul smell of spin. Why is it better to keep this cnut in but let out rapists, peadophiles, murderers, drug barons who are equally unrepentant and present a far greater danger to society? The answer is that they don't generate publicity quite like Biggs does.

Even when this foul and corrupt Government does the right thing you know they are doing it for the wrong reason.

A

ALVIN

For god sake let the guy go free. He has done his time, and i can think of a lot worse crimes that people have done and have had silly sentences imposed, like that funking child molester for example. No the funking government treats Ronnie like some political football. So do the right thing and give this man some freedom for the time he has left on this earth. In some peoples eyes he was a hero. (not that i condone robbing mail trains!!)

ALVIN said:
For god sake let the guy go free. He has done his time, and i can think of a lot worse crimes that people have done and have had silly sentences imposed, like that funking child molester for example. No the funking government treats Ronnie like some political football. So do the right thing and give this man some freedom for the time he has left on this earth.
No he fucking hasn't; he absconded for three decades then only came back so the Great British taxpayer could pay his medical bills for him. He ruined lives and feels no remorse for it; he can die in prison and no loss to society.

A

ALVIN

Bravo_Zulu said:
ALVIN said:
For god sake let the guy go free. He has done his time, and i can think of a lot worse crimes that people have done and have had silly sentences imposed, like that funking child molester for example. No the funking government treats Ronnie like some political football. So do the right thing and give this man some freedom for the time he has left on this earth.
No he fucking hasn't; he absconded for three decades then only came back so the Great British taxpayer could pay his medical bills for him. He ruined lives and feels no remorse for it; he can die in prison and no loss to society.
Yes, but that was back in 1962. Fair game to catch him then. So the guy beat the system and that is what the govenment hate and hey, arnt most of them (M.Ps) just as bent???

bollocks to him he only came because he was skint and needed the NHS, he thought his celebrity status would have out in six months - tough titty