Great North Run

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Cait, Aug 24, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any other Arrse members entering this years Great North Run on Sunday 26th September??

A half marathon from Newcastle city centre to South Shields see course, last year it raised approx £8 million for charity.

Anybody fancying a crack at it, general applications are now closed however i think there are still charity places open.
    see here

Me and a few others from my unit are running for the Army Ben. Fund... if any of you tight arrse's can spare some of your beer tokens.... and want to sponsor us, PM me, alternatively you could make a donation direct in lieu. :D

2. Im giving it a go, never ran that far berfore so not sure what to expect. Entries were closed months ago, had to take a charity place myself. Most of the charities require you to raise a minimum amount if they give you one of their places. £200 in my case.

3. Will you be doing it in Fancy Dress? :wink:

See if ARRSE will sponsor your race kit as they'll get great publicity...................

although their idea of suitable kit may be peephole bras and crothchless pants. 8O Can you run in those? :wink:

4. Nice one Sundance, good luck... i'll be the one at the back, red faced, breathing out my arrse, wrapped in a giant Kit Kat wrapper :oops: :lol:

Oz, i'd give anything ago if the money was right 8O :lol: :lol:

5. It's one of the harder half marathons. Make sure you have somone to bring you your kit at the end. If it is cold the wind coming off the sea causes a lot of wind chill and we get lots of hypothermia cases. Competitors buses take quite a while to find and changing area is frequently quite exposed.
    Good Luck both of you. Am told the atmosphere is superb.

6. so those that took part..how did you do?

7. Great, only through my ringer up once, just missing some chopper dressed as superman!
    :D

(Not telling my time :oops: )

8. go on tell us your time :lol: at least you done the thing, more than most of us!

9. I cant, for fear of finding out that i had my arrse kicked by Jimmy Saville 8O

10. Well i do know there was that 73 year old geezer who completed it in less than 1hour 40 minutes!! :wink:

11. Yet another example of the North/South divide......................the fortunate Northern people get to run to work and keep fit.while afluent Southerners are forced by the LABOUR Government to drive to work in cars, get stuck on the M25, Great North Circular and get heart disease.........feckin Prescott :evil: :evil: :wink:

12. Congratulations and well done, haven't managed to do the Great North yet just other half marathons. How did you go about running for the Army Benelovant. The reason i ask is because I'm thinking of doing the Flora London Marathon next year (If I'm still in country).

If there are any challengers/ training wannabes PM me, I could be interested

13. Well done chick! Good effort :D

Bet you were walking like Charlie Chaplin the next day weren't you :wink: :lol:

14. Congratulations and well done, haven't managed to do the Great North yet just other half marathons. How did you go about running for the Army Benelovant. The reason i ask is because I'm thinking of doing the Flora London Marathon next year (If I'm still in country).

If there are any challengers/ training wannabes PM me, I could be interested

15. 2 hours 9 mins and still suffering 5 days later, never again