Great. More Poor People Within 10.8 Miles of My House.

BBC News - Catterick Garrison £25m 'town centre' scheme unveiled

More than 700 jobs could be created as part of a £25m "town centre" development at the heart of one of England's largest army bases.

The scheme on Ministry of Defence (MoD) land at Gough Road in Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, would include shops and a cinema.

It also includes a 60-bedroom hotel and several restaurants, cafes and bars.

Developer Lingfield Securities said a planning application would be submitted at the end of May.

The garrison comprises several separate barracks around which a town has grown.

An agreement to develop the site was reached in 2010 between Lingfield Securities and the Defence Infrastructure Organisation which is the MoD's property and services provider.

All infantry soldiers in the British Army receive their basic and advanced training at the base, which has a population of about 18,000.

Z

Zarathustra

I've not been to Catterick for a while, will new shops, restaurants and a cinema last very long after some pissed up squaddies have smashed the place up.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've not been to Catterick for a while, will new shops, restaurants and a cinema last very long after some pissed up squaddies have smashed the place up.
£25 million? We've got everything we need in Richmond, Darlo or Stockton.

Bets on they turn the hospital into the hotel, mmm - lush. The old CMC will become the cinema (I've seen enough stories in there), and the Golf Course will become a theme park.

£25 fucking million? Someone is having a laugh.

at the heart of one of England's largest army bases.
Isn't it the biggest in Western Europe?

There should at least be a submarine base for £25m squids.

Will this town centre be run by Sodexo or Avenance?

Isn't it the biggest in Western Europe?

There should at least be a submarine base for £25m squids.
How are you going to hide a submarine in the Swale? It's hard enough hiding a body.*

I just told my Nanna about it, and she said "Eeeh, my grandfathers", then went back to watching Mr and Mrs on catch-up telly. Grandad is out of hospital now and she probably hates me for waking him up, but he knows more about Corrie and Emmerdale than she does, so she's probably got another 4 hours of "Sheila, who's he? I didn't watch this crap in hospital, what time's the cricket on"?

£25 fucking million? 700 jobs? There's hope for me yet.

*I only hit him once and then chucked him off The Batts. A foot on his head helped for about an hour.

What's the significance of 10.8 miles? It's Catterick Garrison, not Darlington.

Latest Threads