Great-grandfathers Medals

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by MedalWonderer, Jan 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning everyone. This is my first ever post on arrse, so I hope I am putting this question in the correct forum.
    Anyway, the other day I was round my Grandfathers house when he suddenly announced that he had been doing some spring cleaning and had come across his father’s medals. His father had never talked about his experiences during the war so he asked me if there was anyway I could help him identify what specifically each medal was for. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.
    For reasons known only to him, my Great-grandfather never wore these medals; as a result the ribbons were never attached. I was wondering if anyone knew which ribbon should be attached with which medal? I have attempted to put front and back pictures of all the medals and ribbons below.
    Any and all thoughts would be very much appreciated.

2. Thank you very much, i have found them all on there!
  3. no problem
  4. Try checking the medal cards online. Your grand'f'er's regimental number, regt. and rank will be engraved on the rim of his WW1 medals.
  5. Looks like he served in the Army or Navy during the later part of WW1 (after 1915) and then service in one of the Home Services during WW2 (Home guard, Police, ARP, etc)
  6. 1914-1918 medal, the defence medal and the victory medal is what they are!

these medals were awarded to everyone in uniform at the time
  7. That is very interesting, being that they arn't mounted

Why not frame them as they are, and hang them on the wall, but with the ribbons and medal seperate.? It'd be a shame to cut them now IMHO.

8. What are the criteria for wearing Grandparents medals with uniform/with civilian suit to Remembrance Sunday?
  9. I think and i'm not 100% that you can only wear your parents medals. Unless he was a VC winner then no one would argue!
  10. You can find the ribbons for these quite commonly so if you going to mount then get them done properly! Contact Spink and sons in london they will be able to advise on ribbons and have a look in the back of soldier magor your corp magazine for mounting firms. I got mine done at some place near Plymouth and they very good
  11. O2, in respect of wearing relatives’ medals for Remembrance Sunday, (or other special occasions of commemoration), the RBL usually advise along the lines of the following;

”There are many people within the community who lost relatives in the various conflicts. They have no way to mark or commemorate their loss other than on Remembrance Day. They are welcome to come along and share together with us that solemn act. If you want to wear the medals of your deceased loved ones, you can do so by placing them on the right breast. You can do this with pride and as a mark of respect to honour those who have gone before. Those wearing decorations on the left breast are the actual recipients, it is also traditional for them to wear the head-dress, tie and blazer badge of their old regiment, if they so wish.”

I would say generally one does not wear someone else’s uniform, or part of it, though I’m sure everyone’s seen this at some time, and perhaps if there are medals worn on the right it’s clear indication of the gesture - I don't know? I would take the RBL general line as a guide and always check with the event or Branch organiser – especially if you’re attended a Regimental occasion where the Regiment may have their own criteria?

12. Medal Wonderer. I suggest that you get them mounted by Messdress Ltd. (Google messdress + uk, they are in Bournemouth). I came by medals in similar circumstances – my wife’s great uncle’s medals sent to his widow in Canada in 1952 then passed down/across different lines of the family until mother in law decided that as Ned’s serving, he can have them. It won’t break the bank (less than £30) to have them “court mounted” and Messdress will use new ribbon and return your original.
  13. Many, many thanks No.9.
  14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

1914-1918 only awarded if in "combat zone" [e.g. France]. My GGF served throughout WW1 in UK [he was quite old then, having been recalled to the colours in Aug 14], and as a result got no medals.
    The WW2 Defence and Victory medals were awarded to all, as GE bombing brought the war [and thus combat zone] to UK.