Great Grandads enlistment papers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

From 1915 into the CEF. Reading the measurements he was a little fellah!
    He was MD for severe injuries in 1917 yet served again in WW2. I wish he had lived long enough for me to meet him!
    [​IMG]
    You can see his wound stripe on his left sleeve. Buried for 24 hours after a german mine blew the trench, only 3 survivors and he was carried out in a blanket with a dislocated back!
    I'll scan them and put them up. The photo is from 1940 I think.

2. Why not March 41 as it says on the bottom

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yep youre right I attached without reopening it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apparently the Canadians get High school kids on summer holidays to scan all of these in, I'm hoping they will do the rest of the records such as unit diaries and medical records. They are available by post or in person but this seems years ahead of Kew.

4. People were smaller back then. His chest size at attestation was less than my waist size when I was a ruffy-tuffy platoon commander!

Ancestry is getting the UK records on-line; at least, the ones the Luftwaffe left us with. I haven't found my relatives yet, but there's only about a one in three chance anyway.

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I have fould the attestation records of a great uncle plus his medical pension papers that are held separately. Between the two they give a great insight.
    His brother, my grandfather, aren't there yet though.