Great Glen Way

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Fang_Farrier, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Anybody done this walk?

Am thinking about doing it at end of August over either 3 or 4 days.

Would welcome any advice or comments.

2. Have done the West Highland Way twice but not the Glen Way, is that the newer one that follows the Caledonian Canal etc.? if so, I've heard it's fairly flat and easy going...

3. Fang_Farrier

Was thinking about doing the WHW but haven't had time to do much training so thought Great Glen would be easier as shorter and flatter.

4. Fang_Farrier

Cheers for the link, did you do ankle on walk? thought it was meant to be fairly flat.

5. It's really not that bad when done at a leisurely pace, I first did it 10 years ago and only had 5 days left of Pre-Bosnia Tour Leave so had to be back at Camp on the 5th day, I got to Fort William on Day 4, carried everything in a bergan, including rations, change of clothes, emergency kit and doss bag & bivvie bag and slept either in Bothies or rough but in the bivvie bag, brilliant time was had but feet suffered and was knacked, 'divide 150km by 4' .

The second time I did it, I was a civvie and booked B&B over 6 days with a walking Company, I also did the unthinkable and had a company transport my heavy load from B&B to B&B, leaving me with just a day sack with emergency kit & rations to carry throughout the walk, sounds silly but I actually got to see the scenery and enjoy this time rather than just staring 2m ahead of me at the deck as I ran/jogged along at pace, slathering from the mouth and sweating like Ten Men as I did 10 years before! I also enjoyed a few Guinness's each night at each chosen B&B, which was absolute heaven!

6. Fang_Farrier

Just back from Great Glen Way.

Not a bad wee walk but a firm reminder that I'm not as young as I once was!

Anybody want to buy a guide book?

7. How much for the guide book?

8. Can be done in 3 days if you go off at a belt and you are younger than I am. 5 days is better as you can take time to stop, see and enjoy.

9. Fang_Farrier

better not sell it as it was an anniversery gift from wife.

but you're pretty much ok with all the info on the internet and the great Glen way is really well trail marked, never really needed.

harvey's do a water proof map that looked quite good but again you don't really need to navigate at all on the way just route plan before hand for stops and overnights.

10. Did the trail South to North or West to East however you look at it. The terrain along the Caledonian Canal from Ft William to Ft George is not too bad, but there are some fairly cheeky climbs. None more than a mile though. The section from Ft George to Inverness is a bit more steady. The total altitude gained and lost is much greater than the first 30 miles. The worst is the bit just before Inverness with a FO big hill to get over.
    As an aside its possible to do the entire trail in 1 day (supported)

Check out Maggies Cancer Charity Monster Challenge.

11. Fang_Farrier

You must of done an extra bit, the Great Glen Way ends at Inverness Castle, it doesn't go out to Fort George